Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Fuel gauge problem help please.

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2016, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gauge problem help please.

I just bought a 2003 1500 Z71. Some times to works great. Some times it will say it is empty then you start driving it goes up to where it should be. Other times it just stays at empty.
Thanks for any and all help.
Old April 4th, 2016, 9:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuel pump is bad more than likely. Or the gauges need to be repaired
Old April 5th, 2016, 11:07 AM
CF Monarch

Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

Another possibility is the stepper motor in the cluster for the fuel gauge. There was a problem with the stepper motors from 2003 to 2006. They will usually all go bad eventually. Since you just bought the truck, you don't know if the steppers were already replaced or not. So it could be the fuel pump or gauge also.
Old April 5th, 2016, 8:36 PM
CF Veteran

the fuel sender assembly is probably the culprit but could be wiring or cluster issues. Depending how handy and motivated you are its a fairly simple system to test
Old April 17th, 2016, 7:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
the fuel sender assembly is probably the culprit but could be wiring or cluster issues. Depending how handy and motivated you are its a fairly simple system to test

Do you have a link to the procedure? my new truck was having the abs light on intermittently and the fuel guage wouldn't go above 3/4 until the dealership put the GPS in, now no abs light and the fuel guage is going a bit higher but still not to full.
Old April 17th, 2016, 8:57 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by hicksvilleshick
Do you have a link to the procedure? my new truck was having the abs light on intermittently and the fuel guage wouldn't go above 3/4 until the dealership put the GPS in, now no abs light and the fuel guage is going a bit higher but still not to full.
Look on YouTube there's a ton of videos about it
Old April 18th, 2016, 12:25 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eworx
Look on YouTube there's a ton of videos about it
Ok thanks, and I apparently cursed myself as the abs light came on tonight...

I'm hoping next weekend to get some under the truck time to check the grounds and whatnot...

I don't really want to replace the abs module.
Old April 18th, 2016, 4:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Eworx
I just bought a 2003 1500 Z71. Some times to works great. Some times it will say it is empty then you start driving it goes up to where it should be. Other times it just stays at empty.
Thanks for any and all help.

Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. We are vendors on the site and can offer some assistance. There were issues with the stepper motors on these trucks from 2003-2006 as another person had mentioned on this thread. We can't diagnose anything without seeing the cluster in person, but we do offer an instrument cluster repair service for your vehicle and we also sell DIY parts like stepper motors as well.

Visit this link to read more about the cluster repair service that we offer:

2003 - 2006 Silverado, Sierra, Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Escalade Gauge Cluster Repair

Here is the link to our GM Stepper Motors:

GM Switec X27.168 Stepper Motor

We have fast turn around times, and we offer a lifetime warranty on the needle motors and a five year warranty on the backlighting. When sending in the cluster, many people also change the lighting in their clusters at the same time. There are options to change the colors to Red, Blue, White or Green LED lights. Needles can be changed to Red, Blue or White.There are small charges for these upgrades.

Name:  silv_e6d95d09a9f374d5512b89297b856094cb04cfdf.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  35.1 KB

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We are happy to help out!