Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Oil Pressure Switch Or Cluster Issue?

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2021, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Switch Or Cluster Issue?

Approximately two months ago, I kept getting a "Check Oil Level" warning on my dash. And, every time I checked, the oil level on the dipstick was fine. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed my oil pressure gauge went from reading it's normal 40psi to 80psi. Now, the reading is pegged out on the gauge, well beyond the 80psi.

I have purchased a new oil pressure sending unit, but haven't installed it yet. I was curious if any of you have had this issue and is this indicative of a bad oil pressure sending unit (as I have already purchased) or something else I haven't considered?
Old September 10th, 2021, 1:44 PM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

Since you already purchased the oil pressure switch, go ahead and install and see if that corrects the problem. The oil level switch is a different switch which is installed in the oil pan. Check the wiring for this before replacing it..
Old September 21st, 2021, 2:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Since you already purchased the oil pressure switch, go ahead and install and see if that corrects the problem. The oil level switch is a different switch which is installed in the oil pan. Check the wiring for this before replacing it..
I replaced the oil pressure switch and it corrected the issue of the erratic oil pressure gauge. However, I am still getting a "Check Oil Level" message sometimes. So, I may have to replace the oil level switch too, I suppose. Or, I may just leave it there as a reminder to always check my oil. That can't be a bad thing, can it?
Old September 22nd, 2021, 7:57 AM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

I would replace the oil level switch to play it safe.