Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Shifter cable problem

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2023, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shifter cable problem

I replaced the transmission in my 2001 2500 HD with same 4L80E.
Now I can’t get it to go into park. I have the solenoid disconnected that makes you use the brake to shift to park.
I disconnected cable from transmission. It seems as if the cables to short now. But I don’t see how that’s possible.
I can move the shift lever to park but not with cable hooked up.
im going crazy trying to figure out why it’s acting like this. Any ideas?
Old September 3rd, 2023, 1:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 266 Likes on 232 Posts

The shifter cable needs adjustment.

The shift lever on the column and the transmission need to be in park for this to work properly, and the cable needs to be attached at both ends. This can be done by releasing the cable from the support bracket on the transmission.

See pic - release the white clip that’s circled - this is the adjustment point between the two cables. It’s usually just below the driver door, behind the rocker panel.

Once the white clip is released, push the 2 halves of the cable together, then release the transmission side and allow it to “rebound” to a resting position - that should be the correct position. Lock the white clip back in place, reattach the cable to the transmission bracket, and check operation.

Note that dirt tends to accumulate in the connection - be prepared to spend time cleaning it with compressed air and penetrating oil to get it moving properly before the adjustment is successful.

If you have to replace the cable, it’s recommended to replace both halves and not just the transmission end.

The following users liked this post:
richcro55 (October 9th, 2023)
Old October 11th, 2023, 4:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing upper and lower cables

[QUOTE=Gumby22;494339]The shifter cable needs adjustment.

The shift lever on the column and the transmission need to be in park for this to work properly, and the cable needs to be attached at both ends. This can be done by releasing the cable from the support bracket on the transmission.

See pic - release the white clip that’s circled - this is the adjustment point between the two cables. It’s usually just below the driver door, behind the rocker panel.

Once the white clip is released, push the 2 halves of the cable together, then release the transmission side and allow it to “rebound” to a resting position - that should be the correct position. Lock the white clip back in place, reattach the cable to the transmission bracket, and check operation.

Note that dirt tends to accumulate in the connection - be prepared to spend time cleaning it with compressed air and penetrating oil to get it moving properly before the adjustment is successful.

If you have to replace the cable, it’s recommended to replace both halves and not just the transmission end.

Why is it recommended both upper and lower cables be replaced at once?
Just curious
Thanks
Old October 11th, 2023, 8:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by richcro55
Why is it recommended both upper and lower cables be replaced at once?
Just curious
Thanks
GM updated the cable design post production.

I can’t recall the exact year it changed but with some models, the newer design won’t even mate correctly with the original.

The update also shortened the overall length of the cable, so having the original, longer upper half with the newer, shorter half may prevent adequate adjustment.

Additionally, to separate the cables, there’s a small clip that needs to be removed from the upper half coupling (I’ll try to get a pic tomorrow - we have a few at work). It’s not impossible but they are easily damaged and oftentimes it’s unable to retain its original position, so the cables can easily separate during normal use.

That’s not to say it can’t be done - it’s just recommended.

Speaking from experience, for the effort required to properly clean the coupling and remove the clip, it’s faster and easier to replace the upper half anyway.
Old October 13th, 2023, 6:56 PM
CF Veteran

I happened to be replacing the cable on a 2016 Express today so here’s a couple of pictures of the clip.

The tip of the lower cable slides into the sleeve of the upper cable and snaps into the clip. It can’t be removed without pulling the clip out of the sleeve.

When I have made attempts to remove and reuse it, I’ve found that it does let the lower cable “snap” into place as before, but its ability to retain the cable isn’t as strong and it can allow the cable to separate.

The following users liked this post:
mountainmanjoe (October 13th, 2023)
Old October 14th, 2023, 12:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cable

Originally Posted by Gumby22
I happened to be replacing the cable on a 2016 Express today so here’s a couple of pictures of the clip.

The tip of the lower cable slides into the sleeve of the upper cable and snaps into the clip. It can’t be removed without pulling the clip out of the sleeve.

When I have made attempts to remove and reuse it, I’ve found that it does let the lower cable “snap” into place as before, but its ability to retain the cable isn’t as strong and it can allow the cable to separate.

Thanks for the quick response. I tried just the lower half before receiving your reply.
You are 100% correct in your assessment.
Poor design in my opinion.A 10 cent cir-clip can disable 50k vehicle.
I tried rock auto didnt have upper and lower in oem. Seems like its a common problem with AC Delco parts these days.
Do you know of an upgraded cable available?
I appreciate you time and more than that a correct straight answer.
Getting hard to find straight answers these day
Rich
Old October 14th, 2023, 2:14 PM
CF Veteran

We typically source the cables from our local dealership using the VIN.

2007 was a split year for the trucks so I imagine it’s unlikely GM has any more available but you could at least call your local dealer and get the current part numbers. Ask if there’s any available at other dealers as they can usually access inventory from a central network.

If not, you can search for the part directly using the number.

Originally Posted by richcro55
Thanks for the quick response. I tried just the lower half before receiving your reply.
You are 100% correct in your assessment.
Poor design in my opinion.A 10 cent cir-clip can disable 50k vehicle.
I tried rock auto didnt have upper and lower in oem. Seems like its a common problem with AC Delco parts these days.
Do you know of an upgraded cable available?
I appreciate you time and more than that a correct straight answer.
Getting hard to find straight answers these day
Rich