Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Steering lock, ignition, no start

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2019, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering lock, ignition, no start

Vehicle: 2001 Silverado 1500 2wd

Problem: Steering wheel does not "lock" when in park, ignition key DOES turn, NO START when key is turned.

I parked on a downhill grade last night. I put the transmission in park and when I let off of the brake, the truck moved forward (down hill), stopping on what I believe is the parking pawl. This morning, I went to move the truck. The ignition key turns, all the gauges and lights work, but the starter will not engage. At this time, I noticed that the steering wheel did not "lock". Removing the key and rocking the wheel left and right will NO lock the steering. Other attempts were made to start the truck. During these attempts, the steering wheel was rocked left and right, and an attempt to start with the transmission in neutral was made. NO starter noises were noted. However, I can hear a small "click" from behind/under the dash that sounds like some sort of solenoid (don't know what it is, but it is NOT the starter). The truck was running well when parked last night. Fuses have been inspected (under hood fuse box). I have moved the vehicle by putting the transmission in neutral and rolling down hill. I put the transmission into park and allowed the vehicle to rock back and forth on the parking pawl. Still no start. Any opinions?
Old October 30th, 2019, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found the NO START problem: bad starter. "No joy" in finding the steering wheel lock problem.
Old October 30th, 2019, 9:33 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

no steering wheel lock on these trucks. most people dont notice till they try working on the truck