Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2008 silverado oem radio will not power on and no alarms sounds

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2018, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 silverado oem radio will not power on and no alarms sounds

My radio is a oem has xm subscription and cd player. It had been working fine till Sunday. It will not power on. I checked fuse under hood and on drivers side fuse. Fuse ok and power to fuse. Looking for idea on how to get it working. I am orginal owner and have never wired any accessories or other radio on pick up.

Thanks in advance.
Old September 20th, 2018, 2:55 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Madeinusa
My radio is a oem has xm subscription and cd player. It had been working fine till Sunday. It will not power on. I checked fuse under hood and on drivers side fuse. Fuse ok and power to fuse. Looking for idea on how to get it working. I am orginal owner and have never wired any accessories or other radio on pick up.

Thanks in advance.
Sometimes radios just die. We expect simple electronics like an AM/FM radio to work, but they do go bad. Thats not to say that it's not something else but you'd have to pull the radio out to find out. As we see more and more car parts made outside the US, we seem to be having problems. If I were a Chinese communist worker, made to work 12 hours a day, every day of the week why would I care about quality at all? There is no incentive, just a matter of survival.
Old September 20th, 2018, 8:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default now turn signal and airbag error

Today check airbag went on briefly and turn signal flash on dash pulsates and different intervals. Turn signal with different cycle is all the time. It was like 2 short flashes then a long flash then a series of short flashes then long pause with no flash and so on. Outside turn signal lights are flashing normal even cycle even though dash is showing different.

Anybody have a plan of action. I was originally going to take dash apart this weekend get radio number and figure on replacing the radio with another factory radio. Now with the turn signal and airbag I was wondering if there is a something else wrong.
Old September 20th, 2018, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default Now it is all back working including radio

Anybody have any Ideas?
Old September 20th, 2018, 7:03 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

?,maybe unhook wire harness from radio,a short?worth a try,seeing how that was first to act up
Old September 21st, 2018, 6:47 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Madeinusa
Anybody have any Ideas?
I think that you have an issue with your steering column, Perhaps the various controls located on your steering wheel are not working properly..
Old September 21st, 2018, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Since it is all working I have decided to leave it alone for now. If it starts happening again I will dive into it. Since I just bought the pry tools to take dash apart maybe truck decided to act better.
Old February 3rd, 2021, 12:54 AM
CF Beginner

Default No Radio ,No Alarms Answer

Hi there, I too am having the same problems with my 08 Silverado. The stereo will not turn on and the chimes like the blinker or key noises will not turn on. I've tried all the same things that you had. Hopefully you found your problem hopefully you can piunt me in the right direction? Thank you in advance
Old May 30th, 2023, 11:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dakota cesena
Hi there, I too am having the same problems with my 08 Silverado. The stereo will not turn on and the chimes like the blinker or key noises will not turn on. I've tried all the same things that you had. Hopefully you found your problem hopefully you can piunt me in the right direction? Thank you in advance

did you figure this out I am having same issue with my 08. I got it to work today for about 3 hours then it gave out again.
Old May 31st, 2023, 8:29 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default About intermittent issues

I have on ‘07 Silverado and had similar issues that stemmed from corroded fuses and loose harness connections underneath the “Under hood” fuse panel . In total I had 6 fuses and 3 relays that had corroded / Intermittent connection issues . I found the fuses that looked good by doing a continuity on each fuse . And I found the relay issues with the relay bypass/test set I have .
As i was checking the fuses and relays I was also applying an anti corrosive compound ( Truck -Lite NYK 77) to each fuse stab and socket as well as the relays stabs and sockets And the harness connections underneath the fuse panel .
After having done all this everything that was malfunctioning has worked ever since .
It does take some time to complete but is well worth the investment in time .
I used Q-tips to apply the compound .
Best wishes and Luck , I hope this helps you both .
The following users liked this post:
08LMM05LLY (May 31st, 2023)

Quick Reply: 2008 silverado oem radio will not power on and no alarms sounds