Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:17 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2014, 4:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado 2008 Speakers

I also have a 2008 silverado with speaker problem, Is GM stepping up to fix this.

I owned a 2006 Colbalt (5 speed fortunately) that the dealer said the cut out problem was anything but a Chevolet problem. I traded it and now they finally admit it's a problem.

I am sure since the speaker problem will not kill anyone that they will deny there is any fault on there part

GM quality
Old May 16th, 2014, 8:23 AM
CF Beginner

Same problem with my 2008 LT. Front door speakers cut on and off erratically. Recently noticed warmer temperatures, they work more often, but never when I first cold start the truck.

Bought 4 new door speakers and will install over Memorial Day weekend, along with two new actuators for passenger doors. These went out several years ago and dealer wanted $200 apiece to install. I said no way.

Agree with many. I like the ride of the Silverado over Ford, but the annoying electrical problems will probably prevent me from buying another GM.
Old May 20th, 2014, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

Default Issues with speakers on 2008 Silverado

I have had issues with my driver side speakers for almost 2 years now.....80% of the time the driver side speaker, seat belt alarm, etc, can't be heard. There are those instances where I might hit a bump or change lanes and all of a sudden the speaker comes on and will usually stay on for the rest of the ride. About 2 weeks ago, I lost the passenger side speaker for the first time and now I have nothing but the small speakers in the dash....as most of you have already expressed it sounds horrible. I stumbled upon this site as I was in the process of googling how/what to check in order to look for a short at the back of radio/speaker. From what I read that would be a waste of time.....the better choice is to change out the speakers? Pardon my ignorance....how can a blown speaker work perfect on occasion? I always thought that once blown....it was no good.
Old May 20th, 2014, 11:46 AM
CF Active Member

these trucks are 6 years old - replace the radio and the speakers - they were junk from the factory
Old May 21st, 2014, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

I carefully disassembled one of my speakers. It is evident there was a manufacturing defect in the voice coil. It appears the coil wire was pinched in one place during the winding process. When I get a chance, I'll take apart the other speaker to see if it looks the same.
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:40 PM
CF Beginner

I have an 07 singlecab silverado with 58, 000 miles and all of my speakers work at random times. Also on 4 occasions when I applied the brakes all of my dash lights and gauges started flashing and my truck repeatedly shifted back and forth between park and drive (all of this happened in traffic on a highway going 70mph or better). So I pull off the road and shut it off then start it back up and it won't do that again for a while. I've called service and was told to have a diagnosis ran but I don't want to spend a butt load of money just to find out what going on. Any ideas?
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by zak07swb
I have an 07 singlecab silverado with 58, 000 miles and all of my speakers work at random times. Also on 4 occasions when I applied the brakes all of my dash lights and gauges started flashing and my truck repeatedly shifted back and forth between park and drive (all of this happened in traffic on a highway going 70mph or better). So I pull off the road and shut it off then start it back up and it won't do that again for a while. I've called service and was told to have a diagnosis ran but I don't want to spend a butt load of money just to find out what going on. Any ideas?
you have 2 separate issues,
the speakers cutting out issue could be the radio or the speakers
the shifting back and forth could be a bad trans range switch
Old June 9th, 2014, 1:20 PM
Lon
CF Beginner

I have this issue as well on a 2005 2500 HD. I thought it was because the guy before me had aftermarket audio equipment and pulled it all out. Here is the odd thing. When I take the dash apart and pull the radio out. Before disconnecting it the front speakers come one, but they fade in. If it was a short, they would cut on or off, not fade in and out. When I put the stereo back in the dash, the front speakers get static and fade out. In addition, I have no base what so ever. I am thinking the stereo itself is shot. Between no bass effecting all speakers and the front speakers fading in and out, it has to be the stereo.

Also, what color are the stock speakers? The 4 I have in my doors are blue, which leads me to believe they are after market.
Old June 10th, 2014, 7:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default Replaced door speakers

I replaced all four of my door speakers in my 2008 Silverado LT. Now all of them are working. Not sure why, but I agree its most likely cheap equipment on GM's part.
Old June 10th, 2014, 8:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by zak07swb
Change your negative cable, and engine to firewall ground-strap.

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue