Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:17 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2012, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by duckmaster1
Chevy customer service Lou, do you report any of this about the radios to the GM warranty or claims dept???
Just curious, all these guys are saying the same about the speaker on the same side and the same year truck, sounds to me there is a problem that GM needs to address to current owners.
I am going to replace mine soon when I get the money, but it REALLY stinks when your radio does not sound good because of cheap factory speakers!
that is a great question that i want an answer from Chevrolet on myself! i look forward to seeing what they say!
Old September 28th, 2012, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
lonas08Z71,

It sounds as if there is a short somewhere. Have you had the system inspected?

Louis
GM Customer Service
I'm not trying to be rude and I'm new to this forum but I kind of thought the idea was to discuss similar problems to see what the fix might be.
Is your roll as a "GM Customer Service" agent supposed to be to drum up business for GM or help figure out the problem?

If you work for GM you should have first hand knowledge of common problems and fixes. This seems like a very common problem. I think the question to you is do you know why this is happening and if not can you find out and let us know?

Everyone here know they can take it to the dealer or a repair shop but we like to DIY. You are insulting us when you tell us to "take it to the dealer"
Old September 28th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by duckmaster1
Chevy customer service Lou, do you report any of this about the radios to the GM warranty or claims dept???
Just curious, all these guys are saying the same about the speaker on the same side and the same year truck, sounds to me there is a problem that GM needs to address to current owners.
I am going to replace mine soon when I get the money, but it REALLY stinks when your radio does not sound good because of cheap factory speakers!
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> duckmaster1,

Yes, all interactions with Customer Service are documented and submitted for review. Each case is handled on an individual basis.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old September 28th, 2012, 1:01 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by Chredw
I'm not trying to be rude and I'm new to this forum but I kind of thought the idea was to discuss similar problems to see what the fix might be.
Is your roll as a "GM Customer Service" agent supposed to be to drum up business for GM or help figure out the problem?

If you work for GM you should have first hand knowledge of common problems and fixes. This seems like a very common problem. I think the question to you is do you know why this is happening and if not can you find out and let us know?

Everyone here know they can take it to the dealer or a repair shop but we like to DIY. You are insulting us when you tell us to "take it to the dealer"
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Chredw,

Welcome to the forum! I understand your frustration and realize that many of the forum members like to DIY.

The GM Social Media team is responsible for scanning over ninety forums, including this one, in order to provide customer service to those who utilize them. While I am not able to provide technical or do-it-yourself assistance, I am able to help in terms of customer assistance (recall information, product/service issues, current incentives, etc).

If you are interested in DIY, there are many other members of this great community that post great advice.

In regards to "taking it to the dealer", many issues are warranty related. In order to be considered for cost assistance in these cases, the vehicle needs to be diagnosed at a GM dealer.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old October 1st, 2012, 6:05 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Same problem on my 08 Tahoe. Sound only from the 2 front tweeters. Also, chime for door, key in ignition, turn signals is barely audible. Saw on another forum that it could be a loose connection on the C2 Audio Amplifier. Going to pull the console and check that this weekend.
Old October 7th, 2012, 8:36 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

My inlaws are having the same problems with their truck, they also had an 09 impala that made a buzzing noise through the speakers every once in a while, the dealership limped it out of warranty without fixing the problem....I think it's time to sell the o8 silverado they would be better off with another manufacture, gm forgot how to build vehicles , they should get into the lemonaide business instead.
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by Steve Dahlberg
My inlaws are having the same problems with their truck, they also had an 09 impala that made a buzzing noise through the speakers every once in a while, the dealership limped it out of warranty without fixing the problem....I think it's time to sell the o8 silverado they would be better off with another manufacture, gm forgot how to build vehicles , they should get into the lemonaide business instead.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Steve Dahlberg,

This issue may be related to a connection or ground issue. These are just suggestions, not a diagnosis. I can look into further for you if you would like. Did you contact Customer Service and provided with an SR#?

Please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old October 10th, 2012, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

I have been having similar problems as everyone has stated with my 2008 Z71 Silverado 1500. I notice that the front driver side door speaker had started to cut in and out over the past few weeks. Recently I noticed I had the volume almost all the way up just to hear the radio; after playing around with the balance and fade I realized that both my driver and passenger side door speakers are not working at all. It has now been almost a week without either speaker working; on occasion they do cut in and out but for the most part no sound is coming out of them. I am planning on taking my truck in to the dealership to get the speakers fixed; going to get a price first and see if it is worth the dealership replacing them (possibly at reduced warranty cost) or just taking having aftermarket speakers installed. I will follow up on what the dealership says after I take it in.
Old October 10th, 2012, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

Default Answers

Louis,

I understand that you do not necessarily answer for the entire GM company. I can tell you that I have been following this thread for quite sometime, and the one thing GM has yet to do is answer these folks' questions.

I am not sure why a mass problem, evidenced by these posts, is being handled on a case by case basis. It's the same problem for everybody. As for determining "warranty," let me ask you a direct question. Are the speakers in a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado, or any 2008 model for that matter, under warranty?

You should know the answer to that. If the answer is no, what is Chevrolet prepared to do, if anything? If the answer is yes, why haven't you just told everyone that it's under warranty and to go get it fixed?

I want you to know that I am not trying to be rude, but I do feel as though we are getting the runaround and answers much like a politician (we all know they answer questions without really answering a question).

I don't mean to be "that guy" who makes rhetorical and idle threats, but why would I ever buy another Chevrolet product if the manufacturer isn't willing to address, in the grand scheme of things, a minor issue let alone a major issue? A quality product is a quality product right down to the smallest nut and bolt. While speakers don't affect the drive train on a truck, it is still part of the product we purchased, and it's cheap.

I am a straight shooter, and I appreciate those who treat me with the same respect. Please just answer the questions and stop trying to run damage control with empty, political responses. To recap the questions:

1. Are speakers in a 2008 Chevrolet (any model) still under warranty?

2. If not, what is Chevrolet doing to address the problem?

Thank you.
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

Default Speakers quit working also

Am joining the group, yet another set of front speakers have quit working.

By looking at these posting, this is quite obvious that Chevy has problem with their stereo/speaker implementation. All these folks having the same problem.

Anyway. I pulled my stereo out and checked all connections and went as far as pulling the circuit board out to check for cold or broken solder connections.(seen this before). But nothing found, all was correct.

Will be heading to the door speakers now. From what others have posted, this sounds to be then next approach. I can only guess that the stereo has some sort of impedance check on the speaker circuit and the radio/amp just shuts down the circuit. just a guess, but if Chevy support knows how this circuit works that would be nice know.

UpDate:
I pulled the door panels, and speakers. Both Speakers were 'OPEN'. Meaning, no resistance/impedance. So as others have mentioned. These speakers stop working because they just fail like a light switch.
I have already replaced with a pair of Polk speakers from Crutchfield.com
Crutchfield included all mounting hardware to fit my 2008 Silveraldo. Fits perfectly using their factory replacement mounting brackets. no drilling, no modifications to door panel. Kudos to Crutchfield, they made this simple for me.

Last edited by jim302604; October 18th, 2012 at 7:17 PM. Reason: UpDate

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue