Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:17 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2012, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I tried the removing the negative cable on my battery for 15 min. we will see how it works and if it has changed it. thing is, my radio stations did not dissapear, but the clock, date were wrong, so reset them.
We will see if it works.
Old October 30th, 2012, 4:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default did not work

i tried the battery cable thing and no supprise it didnt work !! didnt think it would but gave it a shot ! i guess the the gm rep just stopped reading this thread we havent heard anymore out of him for awhile go figure right ! i know its the speakers in my truck they have been checked by a audio and sound company im not going to pay a dealership what they charge to tell me the speakers need replacing!!!! you would think with this many of us with the same issue that chevrolet would step up and take care of us but i guess they are not the company they use to be! i am a very loyal disappointed chevy customer this may be my last chevy as hard as that is to say! makes me worry about any future problems i may have and if they will stand behind anything!
Old October 31st, 2012, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Front speakers went out today.....not shorting, just dead. Been rainy and cold, but this truck has been great and got me through the Yukon/Alaskan winter and many a rough road. Sounds like a speaker quality issue, thanks to the many great posts here. I had one warranty issue on this rig, and the Chev dealer fixed with no problem.....one of the best warranty experiences I have had with a history of @ 12 new rigs from work to private. Going to check out the speakers after it dries out. Tight Lines.
Old November 1st, 2012, 10:26 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by crewcabman
i tried the battery cable thing and no supprise it didnt work !! didnt think it would but gave it a shot ! i guess the the gm rep just stopped reading this thread we havent heard anymore out of him for awhile go figure right ! i know its the speakers in my truck they have been checked by a audio and sound company im not going to pay a dealership what they charge to tell me the speakers need replacing!!!! you would think with this many of us with the same issue that chevrolet would step up and take care of us but i guess they are not the company they use to be! i am a very loyal disappointed chevy customer this may be my last chevy as hard as that is to say! makes me worry about any future problems i may have and if they will stand behind anything!
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> crewcabman,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this problem and understand your frustration; however, without an official diagnosis from a certified technician, I will be unable to assist further with this issue. Please note, I am not a technician, therefore I cannot offer technical or do-it-yourself advice. I can, however, assist further after an official diagnosis.

If you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 3rd, 2012, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

Angry Same problem

Has anyone found any fixes? I'm livid. This started in my truck two months ago. I've gone to the dealership where they told me they were ONLY 90% sure I needed to replace the radio for $500. Why on earth would I spend $500 on a radio that's obviously been proven defective. I also called GM and they offered a pathetic 10% discount on a new factory radio. I just emailed them as well demanding a recall, answers, or a full replacement. In today's economy most people can't afford to spend over $500 on a radio that should be working on a 2008 vehicle that looks like new and doesn't even have 50k miles on it. I also priced aftermarket radios, and about as good as I got with all the equipment to make Onstar, XM Radio, and the steering wheel controls work was a ridiculous $700, and that's not including installation fees. I've gone to several forums about this, and there are hundreds maybe thousands with this issue; many say is some kind of GMAA module, and others say it's the radio. Weird thing is, the weather seems to play a role. When it gets really hot, it works fine, but when it's cold or raining, all I get it tweeter play. Also I'm in the military and was just reassigned so I had to travel 40 hours and 2400 miles listening to music through tweeters....YOU HAVEN'T LIVED UNTIL YOU'VE DONE THAT!!! You also haven't lived until you have to explain to every date why you have a fully loaded truck with leather, sunroof, and $2500 aftermarket rims on it but the radio sounds like someone's scratching a chalkboard.
Old November 5th, 2012, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by chepickens
Has anyone found any fixes? I'm livid. This started in my truck two months ago. I've gone to the dealership where they told me they were ONLY 90% sure I needed to replace the radio for $500. Why on earth would I spend $500 on a radio that's obviously been proven defective. I also called GM and they offered a pathetic 10% discount on a new factory radio. I just emailed them as well demanding a recall, answers, or a full replacement. In today's economy most people can't afford to spend over $500 on a radio that should be working on a 2008 vehicle that looks like new and doesn't even have 50k miles on it. I also priced aftermarket radios, and about as good as I got with all the equipment to make Onstar, XM Radio, and the steering wheel controls work was a ridiculous $700, and that's not including installation fees. I've gone to several forums about this, and there are hundreds maybe thousands with this issue; many say is some kind of GMAA module, and others say it's the radio. Weird thing is, the weather seems to play a role. When it gets really hot, it works fine, but when it's cold or raining, all I get it tweeter play. Also I'm in the military and was just reassigned so I had to travel 40 hours and 2400 miles listening to music through tweeters....YOU HAVEN'T LIVED UNTIL YOU'VE DONE THAT!!! You also haven't lived until you have to explain to every date why you have a fully loaded truck with leather, sunroof, and $2500 aftermarket rims on it but the radio sounds like someone's scratching a chalkboard.
The fix is to install new speakers (at least it was for me). Both front and back were shot, I came to this forum to see if anyone else having same issue and yes, MANY were.
CHEVROLET (or Obama motors as I like to call them) aint fixing to do crap to fix this problem.
I went to youtube.com to see how to remove the front door panals and installed some Alpines in the front myself. Back is still shot. Fixed the problem and it sounds much better than when it was new.
Old November 10th, 2012, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

Well, I fixed my speaker problem.
Went to the dealership and told me the radio and front left speaker was bad and needed replaced. So I told them I was fixing the problem myself.
I traded it in on a Toyota Tundra.
I have had chevys for 15 years, and had several problems with my 2008 chevy , so tired of the crap and service I got from the local chevy dealer and said the heck with it!
So wish you all luck with yours, but maybe when Chevy sees that it is losing coustomers over things they should have taken care of. But they feel that no warning sound because the speaker is no good is not a problem, and the service manager laughed when he heard mine and said that mine sounded better than the other ones that have been in for the same problem.
Old November 11th, 2012, 2:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chredw
The fix is to install new speakers (at least it was for me). Both front and back were shot, I came to this forum to see if anyone else having same issue and yes, MANY were.
CHEVROLET (or Obama motors as I like to call them) aint fixing to do crap to fix this problem.
I went to youtube.com to see how to remove the front door panals and installed some Alpines in the front myself. Back is still shot. Fixed the problem and it sounds much better than when it was new.
I thought I was going crazy. Feel much better now knowing I am not the only one with the speaker issues. Spent 4hours troubleshooting the wires myself to find out that Chevy uses POS (piece of sh*t)speakers. On the search for new speakers now. Thanks Chevy for the great workmanship! NOT!
Old November 11th, 2012, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

You would think with all these people with the same stereo issue, Chevrolet would do a recall!
Old November 15th, 2012, 12:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default 08 Avalanche Speaker Issues

08 Avalanche LT without Bose system. Rear speakers started going out periodically about 6 months ago. Thought it had to do with the fact that the rear speakers shut off whenever the headphones are plugged into the rear stereo. Eventually they quit working completely ( sounded fine when they did work ). A few weeks later my driver side speaker stopped working periodically ( no chimes, no stereo sound, no seatbelt warning sound) again, sounded fine when it did work. A few weeks later passenger side speaker working periodically, again, sounds fine when it does work. If I get in the truck and put my key in the ignition and hear the door chime, I know I've got some stereo for a few minutes but that's it and it doesn't happen very often. Also tried to turn the rear stereo on for my daughter the other day and it wouldn't come on, just nothing, no power at all. The next day it came on fine. Also, when the rear stereo does work you can only get music through one channel on the headphones. On another forum I noticed a lot of people saying that it is an amp issue, on here I'm seeing that a lot of people are saying that it's blown speakers, I can't seem to place mine in either, I don't or shouldn't have the external amp ( don't have the Bose) and the speakers sound fine when they take a notion to actually work, never known a blown speaker to work periodically and sound fine when it did. My $40,000 vehicle now has two functional tweeters WOOOHOOO!

I've read through this post and others trying to find a solution or at least a direction to take for solving my problem. I'm not usually one to post things or join forums but I think everyone with this issue needs to step up. Just wondering myself how Chevy determines what is recall worthy and what's not. Chevy rep, I hope you read this but please don't advise me to take it to the dealer, I am going to take it in for another issue and have them check the stereo issue as well but I'm not going to allow them to replace things at random with me footing the bill. If this was an isolated issue or just a few people with this issue I could see Chevy letting it go as a case by case issue but you know better than anyone that it's not, you said yourself that you guys read through about 90 forums, I've checked out two and this issue is all over both of them, I'm sure it's on the rest of them as well.

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue