Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:17 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2012, 5:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my replacement front speakers from Crutchfield today, polk dxi 650's. Replaced cheap mexican speakers that came stock (only rearspeakers were working), and stereo/radio/cd works, sounds great! I'm not a mechanical type, but with one call to Crutchfield support, was able to install myself, which saved $75 plus 9% tax. Crutchfield was very helpful, and had the lowest price on my speakers, plus free adapters and harness. I sound like an ad for Crutchfield, but they were great, so I will let others know. Good luck to others.
Old November 16th, 2012, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

I think it's all starting to come together.....mentally anyway. I finally got a call back from my 2nd recall demand from GM and was once again offered the 10%($50) CRAP DISCOUNT. I don't think a thorough diagnosis of my vehicle was done. When issues happen, our natural response is to look at what's happening and what changed between the last time it worked fine and the first time we experienced the problem. It started when I was living in Missouri, and the remnants of a hurricane came through causing it to rain severely for three days straight, all of which my truck sat in the driveway. Initially I thought it had somethin to do with the rain, but then quickly dismissed that ridiculous notion. Well, today I got into my truck and the sunroof is leaking!! The water is leaking like a facet through the sunroof buttons, garage door opener buttons, and any other opening you can IMAGINE. When I moved to Washington and made that 40 hour drive, after about 12 hours, just as I thought, the radio started to work fine. I think that's because the heat from the engine dried out everything. It's mighty funny that most people having this issue weirdly report that when it's hot, the radio works fine, but in the morning when the vehicle is covered in dew and it's cold, it doesn't work. Now I've come to the realization that the inside of my vehicle, the parts which can't be seen with the naked eye, are flooded, and that moisture may be the root of my problem. I'm not even going to waste time calling GM again because that's a waste of time. Thing is, now that I live in the Seattle area and it rains constantly, I don't think I can even test my theory out. In order to test it out I'd have to get the sunroof fixed, then let the vehicle dry out in the heat, which is impossible to do here until April or so!!! Shame on GM for this one. It's funny, before I left Missouri in October, a guy who'd recently switched to Ford laughingly asked "Has that sunroof started to leak yet!?" Of course I replied NO, standing my ground in defense of Chevy. Now I'M THAT GUY, with a ragged 4 year old Chevy that just hit 50,000 miles and I can't get anyone at GM to help. Smart thing for me to do may be to trade this thing in before the roof starts mildewing, because once that happens I just lost every dime of the $10,000 plus of equity I have in my truck. It's worth $18k and I only owe $7k, so I might want to get rid of it before I lose that!!!!!
Old December 13th, 2012, 11:11 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BigFletch
Well I ended up going to the dealership to see if they could fix it under warranty. All they did was replace the 2 front door speakers. Since I am only under extended warranty, I had to pay $100. Looking at the parts detail, they are only $40 a piece speakers! I would have rather paid $100-$150 for a decent pair of speakers instead of GM stock crap. I really figured this was an internal radio unit problem. Oh well, I'll take my loss and move on. At least the speakers work, for now.
I posted about my speakers a while back and have just put up with them not working for months now but finally found time to make it to the dealership. I also have the extended warranty and paid the $100 deductible. The dealership replaced the speakers in a matter of a couple hours and I was on my way. I am glad they are finally fixed and am always happy with the service department at my local Chevy dealership. If I did not have the extended warranty I defiantly would not have paid the dealership the full amount it cost for the stock speakers to be installed; I would have gone and bought better aftermarket speakers that I am sure a local car audio shop could have installed for cheaper.
Old December 21st, 2012, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Speaker dead once again

2-weeks after having the dealer replace both speakers and my driver-side door speaker is not working. I thought I noticed the sound being a bit stronger on the passenger side of the truck but didn't think much of it driving home from work last night. This morning I checked and there is zero sound coming from the front left driver side door speaker. Once again back to the dealership...
Old December 24th, 2012, 3:22 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by skynyrd09
2-weeks after having the dealer replace both speakers and my driver-side door speaker is not working. I thought I noticed the sound being a bit stronger on the passenger side of the truck but didn't think much of it driving home from work last night. This morning I checked and there is zero sound coming from the front left driver side door speaker. Once again back to the dealership...
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> skynyrd09,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue again. Please keep us posted of the results of your dealer visit.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 25th, 2012, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

The Chevy dealers no its the head but they won't tell you about it. $ 475 dollars for a new unit plus programing another $ 50 and thats only if you install it yourself I no of four author people who have the same problem including me
Old January 14th, 2013, 3:23 PM
CF Beginner

Upgraded my 1997 Suburban (412,000km and no issues with speakers) and bought a 2007 Suburban in Oct 2012 ... similar speaker issue started in less than a month (colder/wetter weather?).

Also had a problem with the cruise control not working which happened at the same time as the speaker issue but I tried one of the suggestions from a previous post (lifting up the break pedal when clicking the cruise control button) and I am able to engage the cruise control, so it looks like I need to replace a switch ... thx!
Old January 15th, 2013, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

Replaced all 4 speakers on my 2007 about 8 mo. ago... been working fine ever since.
Old January 15th, 2013, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same story

Surprise surprise. Same issue with my 08 Silverado 4 door speakers on drive side. Happened a couple of years ago and dealership said no to warranty coverage when I carried it in for routine maintenance over a year ago. Thanks to all for the advice on the new speaker fix. Will be trying that next.

Oh yeah, I'm headed to look for another string about the EVAP canister vent / purge valve solenoid issue. If you haven't seen that yet get ready. There is a TSB on this and it is another common issue that Chevy isn't helping out with. Dealer wanted $400 to diagnose and fix even though they new the issue and the kit is like $150. I carried it to an independent garage and paid and extra $100 just out of principle. This is my first Chevy and will likely be my last if this kind of junk keeps popping up.
Old January 16th, 2013, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by deecoy
Surprise surprise. Same issue with my 08 Silverado 4 door speakers on drive side. Happened a couple of years ago and dealership said no to warranty coverage when I carried it in for routine maintenance over a year ago. Thanks to all for the advice on the new speaker fix. Will be trying that next.

Oh yeah, I'm headed to look for another string about the EVAP canister vent / purge valve solenoid issue. If you haven't seen that yet get ready. There is a TSB on this and it is another common issue that Chevy isn't helping out with. Dealer wanted $400 to diagnose and fix even though they new the issue and the kit is like $150. I carried it to an independent garage and paid and extra $100 just out of principle. This is my first Chevy and will likely be my last if this kind of junk keeps popping up.

P0442 came up a few weeks ago !!! Goint to try some fixes found on this and other forums before taking it in to the dealer

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue