Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:17 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2013, 8:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add me to the list. 2008 Sliverado 1500 extended cab. Front passengers side was intermittent for a long time then died completely. I removed the speaker and found it was open circuit. Connected a test speaker to the truck. While trying to decide if I should stay stock or go aftermarket (before reading this thread), the drivers-side starting acting up.

Now that I've read this thread it definitely won't be an OEM replacement. Needless to say I'm thrilled about having to spend $ and time fixing something that lasts the life of most vehicles.

Anyone know if the Bose systems had the same issue?
Old April 1st, 2013, 9:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't read all the posts for this thread, so if this is there just disregard. I had the same flaky speaker problem on my 2010 GMC Sierra. I removed the drivers side kick panel and found the speaker connector block. There was one wire/connector loose and the M/F pulc/pin wasn't making a solid connection. I jiggled the wires 1 by 1 and found the loose connector and then I just cut the wires and spliced around the conector
The following users liked this post:
Rleb (June 9th, 2022)
Old April 10th, 2013, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by chepickens
I think it's all starting to come together.....mentally anyway. I finally got a call back from my 2nd recall demand from GM and was once again offered the 10%($50) CRAP DISCOUNT. I don't think a thorough diagnosis of my vehicle was done. When issues happen, our natural response is to look at what's happening and what changed between the last time it worked fine and the first time we experienced the problem. It started when I was living in Missouri, and the remnants of a hurricane came through causing it to rain severely for three days straight, all of which my truck sat in the driveway. Initially I thought it had somethin to do with the rain, but then quickly dismissed that ridiculous notion. Well, today I got into my truck and the sunroof is leaking!! The water is leaking like a facet through the sunroof buttons, garage door opener buttons, and any other opening you can IMAGINE. When I moved to Washington and made that 40 hour drive, after about 12 hours, just as I thought, the radio started to work fine. I think that's because the heat from the engine dried out everything. It's mighty funny that most people having this issue weirdly report that when it's hot, the radio works fine, but in the morning when the vehicle is covered in dew and it's cold, it doesn't work. Now I've come to the realization that the inside of my vehicle, the parts which can't be seen with the naked eye, are flooded, and that moisture may be the root of my problem. I'm not even going to waste time calling GM again because that's a waste of time. Thing is, now that I live in the Seattle area and it rains constantly, I don't think I can even test my theory out. In order to test it out I'd have to get the sunroof fixed, then let the vehicle dry out in the heat, which is impossible to do here until April or so!!! Shame on GM for this one. It's funny, before I left Missouri in October, a guy who'd recently switched to Ford laughingly asked "Has that sunroof started to leak yet!?" Of course I replied NO, standing my ground in defense of Chevy. Now I'M THAT GUY, with a ragged 4 year old Chevy that just hit 50,000 miles and I can't get anyone at GM to help. Smart thing for me to do may be to trade this thing in before the roof starts mildewing, because once that happens I just lost every dime of the $10,000 plus of equity I have in my truck. It's worth $18k and I only owe $7k, so I might want to get rid of it before I lose that!!!!!

you hit it on the head with your post. before my speakers started going out intermitten i noticed after good rains my doors would fill up with water and when i opened the doors they would drain out. couldnt figure out for the life of me how it was getting in. ive had it to the shop and a body shop and they said it shouldnt be leaking but IT DOES. when its dry outside my speakers still come on but the first time it rains you can bet the bank my speakers go out on my truck.. i have procrastinated putting new speakers in bc it will just do it again if its filling up with water anyway. all four doors do it!!!!
Old May 7th, 2013, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2008 Silverado Crew Cab with the same issue, speakers in the driver door work randomly. I see that these post are old! This is a Chevy web site, has Chevy not responded to a fix?
Old May 10th, 2013, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem. 2007 Silverado LT Crew Cab Z71. Both front speakers are dead and the warning chime is very quite. And every now and then they will start working by themselves. Stop by dealership and ask if they have ever ran into this problem and 3 of the service guys said no and had no helpful advice. I already tried replacing the speakers. Still same problem.
Old May 19th, 2013, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default 07 SILVERADO radio / Speaker Trouble

I bought a 07 silverado last summer with 29,000 mi. now it has 39,000 and the speakers in the front doors quit working, just the tweeters " high's " in the pillars worked, then one side door speaker would work, then back to just tweeters. it really got frustrating.
its the standard radio cd player NOT Bose system. after replacing the radio i had the same problem, i replaced the speakers in the front doors and It works perfect now. The Stock speakers are Garbage. replace them with a good quality aftermarket speaker and enjoy the sound.
Old May 19th, 2013, 11:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default cruise

To Josh if your cruise works by tapping the brake you may have a defective or improperly adjusted brake switch.Sometimes they pop out of their bracket
Old May 20th, 2013, 6:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict.Ron.J
I have a 2008 Silverado Crew Cab with the same issue, speakers in the driver door work randomly. I see that these post are old! This is a Chevy web site, has Chevy not responded to a fix?
This is a site for Chevy Owners, not a manufacturing site.

But, since you asked, a dealer rep does tell folks to take

their car to a dealer, upon occasion...
Old June 14th, 2013, 10:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default Speaker problem

Same problem with my 2008 2500 crew cab LS. Front left speaker been going off and on for months now the driver side is doing it and you lose all the bells and on-star but the high range speakers work up over the dash. Always said that it had to be speakers or the radio. If it were wiring problem you would get static out of the speaker but it just stops working then works sounds normal when they work. As far as water in the door all cars and truck get water in them cant stop it. But they all have drain holes in the bottom 4 on my truck. My back right door feels up and I have to clean out the drain holes. I check all the doors and holes when I wash it. The back door seems to have a lot of trash in it I would say when it was built and its hard to get it all to come out the small hole. Look under the seal at the bottom of the door and you will see them. The internet is a great place to find problems just do a search and when you see this many people having problems with the speakers you no have found the problem. Will be ordering a new set in the morning and after that a new radio always said the aftermarket radios where much better.

Jeff
2008 2500 crew cab duramax LS
Old June 16th, 2013, 4:48 AM
CF Beginner

I can do you one better. I own a 2003 trailblazer and a 2004 crewcab, speaker problem in both. The 2003 started about after about 3 years and the 2004 started about the same time frame. Only one speaker works in the crew cab and none work in the trailblazer. Same senario with both vehicles. The speaker started working sporatically gradually getting worse as time went by. I just want gm to know this has made me think about switching to fords or dodges in the future.

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue