Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2013 seat swap air bag to no air bag

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2019, 7:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 seat swap air bag to no air bag

I have a 2013 crew cab with cloth manual seats with air bags. I bought a set of leather power seats with no air bags. Can I install these or will it screw my air bag system up
Old October 27th, 2019, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 508 Likes on 468 Posts

the air bag light will be on as the sdm ...air bag module will be looking for the seat air bags and not find the correct resistance. This probably will disable the entire airbag system.
Old October 27th, 2019, 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

Can I take the air bag and foam from my existing seats and put in the new and make it worj
Old October 28th, 2019, 8:33 AM
Super Moderator

no. the seat covers are made to break open when the seat air bad deploys. the non airbag cover won't do that.
Old October 28th, 2019, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Well I just swapped from the nasty pleather factory seats and went with a set of 2007 Yukon leather seats as far as I can tell there weren’t any airbags in either so I’ve got no lights on. I don’t see why you couldn’t do the airbag light bypass and trick the system into thinking there’s an airbag installed
Old October 28th, 2019, 1:37 PM
Super Moderator

Why no one with tell you how to trick the system.

you buy a car...Its passes a safety check as the mechanic can't see the previous owner doctored it. your family gets hurt ...you see no problem with that?
Old October 30th, 2019, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
Why no one with tell you how to trick the system.

you buy a car...Its passes a safety check as the mechanic can't see the previous owner doctored it. your family gets hurt ...you see no problem with that?
lol what are you even talking about, the seats they bought don’t have any air bags in them. The only thing a bypass would be doing is turning off the warning light. All the other airbags in the vehicle would still operate as intended 🤣

Also for the record my trucks seats did NOT have airbags from the factory, I bought replacement seats that also did not have airbags so I didn’t need to do any kind of bypass or system work around. The owner of the vehicle should know what’s in their vehicle and what parts can safely and legally be installed or modified.

however all that having been said you ASSUME the risk of something having been tampered whenever you buy a used vehicle; if you want guarantees it’s never been tampered with then buy it new 🤷*♀️. In my eyes it’s literally no different than day buying a vehicle from a law enforcement auction and then crossing the border into Mexico and on your way back a drug dog sniffs out your vehicle. When it’s inspected they find a ton of drugs that were missed upon the original seizure of the vehicle, guess what it’s your car 🤣

Last edited by GingerichJ; October 30th, 2019 at 9:25 PM.
Old October 30th, 2019, 9:28 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

what hes talking about is a liability issue. some trucks came with airbags in the seats some dont. you didnt have an issue because yours came from the factory without airbags, the OP on the other hand will set off a code and it might disable the entire system. yeah its not a big deal if you know what you did to your truck. but if the OP sells the truck with the airbag system and light disabled and the new owner crashes it there will be liability issues when they try to determine why the airbags didnt go off to the person who disabled the light in the first place
Old October 30th, 2019, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
what hes talking about is a liability issue. some trucks came with airbags in the seats some dont. you didnt have an issue because yours came from the factory without airbags, the OP on the other hand will set off a code and it might disable the entire system. yeah its not a big deal if you know what you did to your truck. but if the OP sells the truck with the airbag system and light disabled and the new owner crashes it there will be liability issues when they try to determine why the airbags didnt go off to the person who disabled the light in the first place
sigh....Thank you Irish
Old October 30th, 2019, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GingerichJ
lol what are you even talking about, the seats they bought don’t have any air bags in them. The only thing a bypass would be doing is turning off the warning light. All the other airbags in the vehicle would still operate as intended ��

��
you realize a fault in one part of the air bag system may disable the entire system. If the light is on...you best ASSUME it may not work at all

all gm literature I read when I worked for then said if the light is on..the system is disabled. I'm now at fca and was surprized to come across documentation that stated if the light was on it may not work. I don't know what is programmed in the sdm….you shouldn't bet on it working with the light on.

Last edited by tech2; October 30th, 2019 at 10:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 seat swap air bag to no air bag