Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Considering a used Silverado - any advice

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2022, 10:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a used Silverado - any advice

So - I’m in the market for a used 1500. King story short - I’ve got sellers remorse.

Started early last year when the pandemic pricing spike first hit hard - I had a bit of a change in finances and a bit of a health scare. Decided “F’ it - I’m buying myself the truck I’ve wanted for the last decade”. So I went out and bought a Tundra Pro - knew 21 was the end of the V8s and I could get one at sticker - so I pulled the trigger.

I had my old man’s 2012 1500 - v6 2wd with only 23k miles. Basically I bought it off mom after dad passed in 2017 - knowing it was ultra low miles and owned since day 1. I don’t drive my truck a lot - and planned on just taking the Silverado and keeping it at the farm property I have - thinking I’d be better off just keeping it than giving it away for the 6-8k it would likely sell for as a base work truck with a 6 cylinder. Sure it was clean and low miles - but it was also a decade old. Had a dealer just inquire what I’d take for it - I jokingly said 15k - a day later I sold it.

So I thought great - I just sold that truck for 2x what I would have expected to get. Funny thing is - a year later - I miss that old truck. It was basic as they come - but that to me is a positive. Less stuff to fail - and easier to maintain.

So now I’m realizing I need something to keep at the farm - taking my new Toyota up there doesn’t make sense and I just prefer having something that I don’t mind if it gets a scratch on it. I’m thinking of another Silverado- but of course prices are still nuts.

I can get into something with 150k miles for well under 10k still - but mileage scares me. I know the V8s “can” be oil burners - especially if not using synthetic oil and regularly changed. I never had issues with the 6 - but again didn’t have the miles on it and always changed oil at least 2x a year.

Found a few ultra clean examples with between 35-50k miles offered between 13-15k. Seems that I’d basically be “trading even” for what I sold last year - but also just feels like alot to pay for a truck that sold for 16.8 new in 2012.

Any issues I should look for on these mechanically ? I’ve seen a few rust issues on relatively low mile examples (rear wheel wells mainly at seams in the inner) - anything else to watch for. I know AFM on the V8s is a concern - but this is. It in the 6 - correct?

Other than that - thinking of a few little changes to make. Not sure about changing up the suspension a bit and lifting/leveling things. Nothing crazy - just some minor mods and changing out those steel wheels with something a bit more attractive.

And yes - I know I screwed up selling what I had. Lesson learned I guess. But sometimes you just never know what the future holds for you. I wound up selling thinking I have no need for a 2nd truck (and 3rd vehicle as my free car - the work vehicle sees 98% of the driving as it’s free everything) - then you fall *** backwards into a pile of cash and you realize sometimes things just make you happy in a way a savings account can’t . Plan is to keep this one for the next 2 decades - it may never be a “classic” - but it will be special to me - which is all that matters.
Old February 13th, 2022, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Also - can anyone tell me why a 2014 is considerably less valuable than a 2009-2013 of similar drivetrain / trim ?

Looking at a few 2014-2015s - they are 5000 cheaper and less miles than some of the 2011-13s I am seeing. Granted people are nuts - asking 20k for a 2011 w/t with 98k miles - but seems this gen commands a premium for some reason.
Old May 28th, 2022, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

The ‘07-13 does have quite a following I suspect it’s due to the body style.