Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

HELP !! Transmission emergency!

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2021, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP !! Transmission emergency!

Will give as much info as possible. Given some circumstances right now, I'm in desperate need of my truck so I'm open to all suggestions to get me on the road asap

Truck will shift gears but will not move. all gears catch, but feels what I can best describe as it feels like the wheels are blocked. The problem arose randomly. Parked at a gas station, flat surface no pitch. Upon trying to leave, shifter would not leave park. Brake switch is good. That part would open and shifter would clear that and go just a bit further before binding up. Eventually rocking the weight off the front to the back and quickly pressing brake , it shifted fine.

Over the last week or so , its steadily worsened. Had to be sure to come to a stop , press E brake while still in drive , then was all good. If not it would bind again. I've had the truck for 3 years and from the beginning, it would roll a good 3 inches in park if on a pitch. Never gave me problems. Now I've always taken care of it and used ebrake. Forgot here and there , but always did things the right way. This came out of no where.

So then it began to click ONLY in reverse. Slow you'd hear clicking and if sped up it would go away. Also started noticing a weak or slipping while driving. The forward gears have all been OK. Other day the clicking left reverse and went to drive. First and only time it happened. Along wirh clicking I could feel hitting in my floor board right under my feet it seemed. Yesterday went to park and I wasn't paying attention and didn't park very smart and now it won't move. I can get it to rock and move along with a slight movement from the truck maybe 3 or 4 inches either way. But it won't release. All the gears catch. But won't get going. Feels like I'm trying to drive with the tires blocked though they aren't. Checked parking brake and it's good. The linkage under truck moves fully when shifting and is tight with no noticeable wear and has just barely any play. Full of fluid in tyranny.

From what I gather , the pawl is stuck finally and won't budge. Wether it be the spring broke or came off or the rod broke, that's my best guess. I've replaced brake switch, tail lights are all good. The solenoid in steering column is weak. Has alot of play. I've tried removing whole oiece , just unplugging, and in tack but non of those help. Shifter has a good deal of wiggle.

So I'm guessing its the pawl. I cant find the part locally but I need it moving asap. I've read you can access and replace by dropping the pan ? I've got fluid and filter and gasket. Is it possible to just remove or disengage? The shifter now once you get down to the lowest gears on shifter or at the bottom, the shifter get more squishy like its not moving freely. Kinda spongey definitely not normal. I've lifted the rear and both tires spin properly. Same on lifting up front. Hoped it would free it up but no. I can rocke it back n forth a good 6 inches and have tried to jump in and stomp break and hope shifting would catch it so to speak but no amout of playing with it helps

What should I do ??
Old June 26th, 2021, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Also , I have access to family that is top level mechanic with lifts and everything. Hoping to avoid that situation because it's family and a difficult situation. He suggested removing drive draft at rear so we can move truck and tow back. But his idea so far will entail days and days of stuff which is a very bad thing for me now if it's avoidable
Old June 26th, 2021, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

Forgive me. This may be relevant

It's a 2008 silverado 5.3 crewcab 2wd. Transmission code m30. Has 230k miles. Transmission has no history of problems since buying it with 100k on it 4 years ago. Fluid is about 100k old. But is full and not too awfully discolored and not burnt smelling. Most recent mod was a 3 inch rear drop. 2" shackles and 1" spacers and drop shocks. Truck rode great for first week or 2. Noticed a rougher ride increasingly over past 2 weeks. I had checked and retorqued 10 days after install and nothing was out of place. Pulled up rear and both tired turned opposing directions in neutral. On front both tires turn freely in neutral
Old June 26th, 2021, 6:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

post a video of the noise
Old June 26th, 2021, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
post a video of the noise
theres no noise now. It was like a rod or something dragging across the teeth of a gear and I assume what was perceived as it " going away" was it just speeding up to a point you couldn't hear it. It was always only in reverse. It only happened once in drive after leaving being parked in neutral. The clicking was exactly the same but that's when I felt what I'd describe as a hose or cord whipping around my drive shaft hitting under my feet. But under there, there's nothing to see.
it's dead now though. Goes into all the gears, don't hear the clunking I had before , and truck catches gear and will move the vehicle slightly but that's it. Like you're stomping on brake and giving gas or like you forgot to remove blocks under tires. It's like that now In all gears Forward and reverse
Old June 26th, 2021, 8:32 PM
CF Beginner

I really want to say I think it's in the rear diff. I was noticing vibrations at certain speeds, noises etc. I think my drop kit threw things off too much and did something.
Old June 26th, 2021, 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

I'm no mechanic. At all. I got no business working on vehicles. But this ones mine and I'm trying to teach myself. Gives me something to do to forget about my divorce and kids being gone. I prob screwed it up. I did everything carefully and triple checked , but at the same time I could've done the dumbest thing and never known