Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

issue with battery charging

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2019, 2:23 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts
Default issue with battery charging

on my 2010 5.3 silverado that ive only had for a month ive noticed a few times that battery doesn't seam to be charging to the full 14.? volts. it seams to hover around 13v, if i turn the truck off and restart it it will charge at 14+V. yesterday it did the low charging deal and i turned it off to restart it it would go back to good charging but then within a mile or two would drop back down. it doesn't do this all the time and most times i have the truck on cruise but even taking it off cruise and reving the engine it wont fix the issue. i searched for this issue on here and someone mentioned a "smart" battery charging system and his did it since new. is this normal? ive asked a couple friends who have the same style and they never noticed it. the battery light doesnt come on and the battery light or warning has never turned on.
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/200...58/#post369117

the dealer also just replaced the battery a few weeks ago and the truck was doing this before the battery change

also want to add i did verify the voltage at the battery and with a scanner with live data that confirmed the gauge is reading accurate

Last edited by Irish_alley; March 21st, 2019 at 2:30 PM.
Old March 21st, 2019, 2:28 PM
I'm here for the party

Old March 21st, 2019, 2:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

The voltage of a fully charged 6-cell lead acid battery is around 12.7V. The charging systems on modern cars will control the output voltage of the alternator according to various things such as speed, electrical load, temperature etc. The output voltage can vary anywhere from 12.7 to almost 16V. It helps prolong battery life, reduces fuel consumption, and gets more power to the accessories that need it.

https://docplayer.net/47372792-Are-y...n-a-smart.html
Old March 21st, 2019, 4:16 PM
I'm here for the party

good to know thank you for the info. also what circumstances have to be met to activate the eco mod? i installed a DIC and was able to see the instant MPGs and pretty much while cruising under 30 did i ever really see the AFM take effect and the truck was getting around 24 MPGs