Notices
2019+ Silverado (GMT-T1) Section for all discussion related to the 2019+ Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.

Carbon Build-Up GDI Engine Management

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2022, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carbon Build-Up GDI Engine Management

So, I started watching this YouTube channel called "I Do Cars" (https://www.youtube.com/c/IDoCarsalldaylong). He does detailed tear-downs of busted engines he gets as part of his salvage business. His tear-downs are thorough, detailed, and he does a great job of forensic analysis. Something that keeps coming up in any tear down he does of a Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) engine is a very common, call it systemic, problem of carbon buildup in the intake system, especially around the intake ports and the valves. I mean, like, serious, heavy carbon build up. Build up that, over time, becomes seriously restrictive to the intake side of the engine. It seems that the PCV system is delivering unburned carbon into the intake and unlike port injection, which provides a continuous cleaning of the intake ports and valves, the direct injection doesn't provide this "service". So the carbon builds up. So I started doing some research on the subject. Seems like there's no real solution to the problem, eventually the intake valves and ports will have to be cleaned, as in manifold off and walnut blasting cleaned. The build up becomes a potentially irreversable issue between 30K-60K miles. Downer, since my 6.2 coincidentally is GDI.

So further research indicates that there's a couple things you can do to at least delay the potentially irreversible issue and requiring very expensive blasting solution. One is regularly spraying a product like Seafoam or Berryman's B12 for example, that will remove some of the build up. Another delaying solution is a catch-can on the PCV system.

So, that brings me to the reason I started this thread. Did my first Seafoam "treatment", but I want to do more. Anybody done a catch-can? I'm gonna do it, made up my mind, so I'm looking for the best, cleanest, neatest, most effective way to do it. Get a "kit"? Which one? Suggestions? Oh, and Seafoam pics below FYI.....

Another FYI, a couple links regarding the issue: