Notices
2019+ Silverado (GMT-T1) Section for all discussion related to the 2019+ Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.

New 6.6 gas for 2020

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2019, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 6.6 gas for 2020

I currently own a 2012 Duramax Diesel looking to get a new truck. I went from a 6.0 gas to diesel. looking at the new 6.6L gas just looking for some insight. My truck is for personal use, I do triple tow to the lake about 70 miles 1 way, otherwise it's the camper or boat alone. My new camper is rated for 1/2 ton truck, my last camper wasn't. for the amount of towing and distance traveled is the reason to consider a gas over diesel. I know the extra torque is nice at times but day to day use it's over kill of power needed. I plan on retiring in 4 yrs my trips to the lake will increase I would like to buy now so it's paid for by the time I retire. Looking for some advice will I regret the swap? Anybody towing the new 6.6L are they satisfied with it's performance over the 6.0.
Old September 21st, 2019, 1:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally haven't driven or know anyone who have driven one with the 6.6 gas. Specs say max hp 401 at 5,200 rpms and tq 464 at 4,000 rpms. I would speculate it still winds out just like any other small block. Diesels and big blocks make max torque at much lower rpms. This being the reason they are prefered for towing because they have the grunt down low without all the downshifting like the small blocks like to do. I am really curious to learn more about the 6.6 gas. I was pleased to hear they are moving in a direction for the little guy to be able to tow without big diesel maintenance issues that will eventually pop up.
Old September 29th, 2019, 9:27 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rksolid
I currently own a 2012 Duramax Diesel looking to get a new truck. I went from a 6.0 gas to diesel. looking at the new 6.6L gas just looking for some insight. My truck is for personal use, I do triple tow to the lake about 70 miles 1 way, otherwise it's the camper or boat alone. My new camper is rated for 1/2 ton truck, my last camper wasn't. for the amount of towing and distance traveled is the reason to consider a gas over diesel. I know the extra torque is nice at times but day to day use it's over kill of power needed. I plan on retiring in 4 yrs my trips to the lake will increase I would like to buy now so it's paid for by the time I retire. Looking for some advice will I regret the swap? Anybody towing the new 6.6L are they satisfied with it's performance over the 6.0.
Personally I would wait a model year so others can buy and test this new engine. If your Diesel doesn't use DEF fluid it will bring a premium. Seems like DEF fluid in engines have problems and don't get the mileage the older ones do..
Thank you
Ken
Old September 29th, 2019, 9:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I have read from those who have gotten the new 2020 6.6 L8T 2500, they really like the overall package and are very happy with the performance of the new engine. The trans is a beefed up version of the 6L90 that has been the standard behind the 6.0 L96 of previous years. From everything I have read and heard, if I was in the market for a new 2500 I would give it a serious look. i really like my 2015 6.0 2500, so I am not looking at a replacement. I have also seen some pretty good drive off the lot pricing on the new 6.6 gasser 2500's. Almost down as low as 80% of MSRP. Check other GM truck related forums as well for buyer impressions.

The L8T should be pretty reliable. It is the same engine as the L86 6.2 Ecotec, except the 6.6 has a longer stroke, is a cast iron block, and does not have the dreaded AFM nonsense. It has a little lower pressure of 10.8:1 so that it does not need premium fuel like the 6.2 Ecotec. HP of the new L8T is 401 HP, just a little behind the L86, but the new L8T wipes the floor with the L86 in terms of torque. 464 lbs torque for the new L8T.

Worth taking a long look at.
Old October 11th, 2019, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

Smile

I made the big choice yesterday. Went with a 2020 6.6 gas Silverado. Went Red in the Custom Model, not as many options as the 12 Denali but half of the bell and whistles were never used ( I purchased this used ). Dealer is adding BW turnover for fifth wheel, rhino lining, black custom nerf bars, bigger molded mud flaps. Local canvas company is adding soft box top.
Old October 11th, 2019, 2:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Keep us informed of how it tows and drives. Very interested. Glad you got the truck you wanted.
Old October 12th, 2019, 4:37 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

whats the price difference between that and the diesel? me personally i love most charged engines. that way you get more power but the engine can be smaller so youre not feeding the higher displacement engine when youre just cruising but the power is there when you need it. so in theory you get better mpg with the same power as a bigger engine (or abouts)
Old October 15th, 2019, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

About 10 grand more for Diesel. I currently get 13mpg average with Duramax around town and etc. if I can increase it a little with gas and with gas being cheaper that saves a little. I pull heavy only in the summer with camper/ boat combo less than 2k a year with a yearly 800 mile round trip camper only. I'm willing to give the new 6.6 gas with new 6 spd transmission a try.
Old June 21st, 2022, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rksolid
Heyy not sure if you've bought one or not but I've owned one for 2 years and man they're great I've towed about 18t pounds and I mean it didn't really feel like it was lacking power or anything I've had no problems with it it has 60k miles really I suppose my only issues are that it gets 10 miles to that gallon when towing and 15-18 when not towing and that the transmission has no dipstick the engine bay is real big and you can easily work on it personally I think they're great and I love the truck
Old October 11th, 2022, 11:20 AM
CF Junior Member

My buddy just bought a 22 3/4 ton 6.6 gas and he loves it.

Quick Reply: New 6.6 gas for 2020