Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

2000 Astro won't start

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2009, 2:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Astro won't start

On the freeway today and lost power for a second, then came on again, then lost power again for just another second and then back on, then off for good. I coasted up an exit and it will not restart. It cranks fine, but then it seams like it fires and the cranking is stopped. Once it even seamed that it backfired out the intake. Not sure what to do, suggestions?
Tim
Old August 2nd, 2009, 9:55 AM
CF Active Member

Get someone to turn the key to pre ignition but not turning the engine over while you stick your head inder the drivers side by the gas tank. You should hear the fuel pump turn in in the pre ignition setting. If not, that's your problem dead fuel pump. It's pretty good odds that what your problem is. I have had it happen before. BTW pump is in the fuel tank. so dont cheap out with a cheaper cost pump. Spend the money and get a good one.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 2:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default fuel pump

I've always heard a buzzing noise prior to starting and today, with the engine cover off, I realized it seams to be coming from the engine area, near the distributor. Are there two pumps (gas tank and engine)? I'll go listen to the gas tank now.
Tim
Old August 2nd, 2009, 7:06 PM
CF Active Member

No there is only 1 pump. In the tank. Thats something else. Listen for the buzzing near the gas tank if there is none there is your problem. Astros are known to go through fuel pumps.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, the buzz is clearly from the tank and the one i've heard. Another guy says it's my crankshaft position sensor.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 11:08 PM
CF Active Member

I've had five pumps die in four vans (didn't know to use ACDelco/Delphi only on the first one). I've never had a crankshaft position sensor fail, plus that would set an engine code. Your van sounds exactly like when my 2000's pump cut out. Find someone with a fuel pressure gauge and have it checked.

Your van uses ACDelco #MU203 / Delphi #FG0127

The best price I found for this pump is at http://store.getgmparts.com/fuel-pumps.html. $188.10 I bought Green's current fuel pump from them, shipping was $15 to work, and I had the pump in a couple days.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:09 PM
CF Active Member

Ok if you can clearly hear the buzz from the tank. You could be loosing pressure. When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? Cant see that being the only thing wrong but it wont help. You can check your fuel pump relay (check owners manual) or fuse again (check owners manual). I agree with the others too check to make sure you have enough fuel pressure.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 5:13 PM
CF Active Member

Fuel filters are often neglected on these vans. It's recommend changing the fuel filter every 20k miles to keep the fuel pump happy.

Also, most times the pump doesn't completely die, they just get too weak for starting. So it's possible to still hear the pump run without being able to start it. This is handy cause the old pump can be used to pump the fuel out of the tank before lowering it.

While not recommended, Grumpy ran for a while on a weak pump by using a 1-2 second blast of starting fluid into the intake before cranking.
Old August 4th, 2009, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks all. I did find bad wiring to the crankshaft position sensor. All three wire were shorted together at the sensor. I replaced the sensor and wire and it still didn't start. So my "JustAnswer" mechanic believed the module was fried from the shorted wires at the sensor, so I changed that, but still no go. He was right on regarding the crankshaft position sensor.

When cranking the engine I get kickback (fires at the wrong time) and cranking stops. Poor or no fuel delivery wouldn't cause kickback, would it?
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:26 AM
CF Beginner

Assuming the wire short at the sensor was the original failure mechanism and working on that premise; 1) are there any fuses other than the ones in the fuse box by the battery? 2) Are there any fuseable links from the computer to the crankshaft position sensor that could have burned out, or just the wire? 3) I suppose I could check all three wires with igition on to see if one is hot (5 or 12 volts).

I'm hangin, albeit by a thread....

Tim

Quick Reply: 2000 Astro won't start