Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

'95 Astro poor starting

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2009, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 Astro poor starting

Van just started to struggle to start--warm or cold. Lots of cranking, but after it starts it runs fine. However, after it starts there is strong smell of gas. Also, it seems to start a little better if I press the gas pedal--like the old days. This makes me think that the fuel mixture is too rich and the pressing down the gas pedal lets more air in, helping with the mixture and starting. But, I could be wrong. Is there a fuel pressure regulator on this van somewhere that could be acting up?

Thanks for our help.

(A couple years ago it did the same thing, but then discovered it needed a new fuel pump. Back then, however, there was no fuel smell after it started.)
Old March 14th, 2009, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gary
When was the last tune-up??.Delco parts only on these vans.Astro's are picky about what you use.You swap out the fuel filter while doing the pump??.
As far as tune-up, what aspects of a tune-up are you referring to?

It has been many, many years since sparkplug or PCV change. Fuel filter changed about two years ago when the fuel pump was changed. Spark plug wires has been at least 5 years since change.

What else should I change (other than also the air filter)?