Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Poor starting on 97 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2014, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor starting on 97 Suburban

My 1997 Suburban 1500 5.7L has had starting problems ever since I got it in January. It would take a couple of turns of the key and lots of cranking for it to start. And some days it wouldn't start at all, like it had no fuel. I couldn't tell what was the cause of the issue. I deceided that since my fuel guage was not accurate and was always floating, I would go ahead a replace my entire fuel sending unit. When I pulled it off the vent hose wasn't connected at all. So I got the new one in, with the vent hose properly attached all of the connections properly reconnected. Everything was fine, until I took it to the store and wouldn't restart afterwards. A lot of cranking and false starts, then it started right up like there was nothing wrong at all. I deceided to replace the crankshaft position sensor today. Took all of 10 mins to replace and most of that time was spent in lifting the front to get under there. So far its working good and starts a lot better. No constant cranking, just fires right up. So for anyone that is having starting problems check your Crankshaft Position Sensor. I will report back in a couple days to see if it is fixed.
Old May 12th, 2014, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default similar problem as well

Hey,
I bought a '96 sub from a friend of mine and it ran great for a few months then I started having starting issues. I would have to try to crank it multiple times before it finally turned over. After about 3 months of doing that, I finally quit on me and I haven't got it started since. I started taking off parts to replace and changed out the starter, alternator, battery, all spark plugs and wires, radiator, belt, shocks, and some other things not actually starting related. Anyways, everything was brand new out of the box (so it better be) and I tried starting her up.
Still nothing.
Before it finally quit on me, I got it to try and start up, but never turn over still. I haven't replaced anything other than what I listed above, but I did drop the gas tank and check the fuel pump and connections. Everything down there checked out great and I still have the same problem. I haven't been able to figure it out. The truck ran great, not hot or cold, didn't have leaks and sounded even better, but the starting issue has made it into a yard ornament. I want to get this truck back running as it is my baby.
Old May 12th, 2014, 7:25 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

What is your fuel pressure?
Old May 19th, 2014, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1997 Suburban

I have a 1997 chevy suburban and I had some coolant leakage problems, I put coolant in a couple days ago and started to drive off I got probably half a mile and it shut off on me so I put it in neutral and started it back up drove a quarter mile and it shut off on me again, this time it wouldn't start back up. it wouldn't even crank. Any ideas of what that could be? I checked the battery is fine but the coolant bottle was empty when I pulled over.
Old May 19th, 2014, 4:33 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
Do you know if the coolant is leaking out or just disappearing?
If its disappearing, you could have hydrolock...

if its a leak, it could be running down and has shorted out the starter....