Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

are astros a pain to work on?

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2018, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are astros a pain to work on?

An astro looks perfect for what I want a van for . The one thing I've heard is that it's inconvenient to work on as far as access . I do all my own work. Any opinions out there?
Old October 24th, 2018, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default Not too bad to work on...

I see this is a post from June 2018, but to answer your question here are my 2 cents... Astros can be hard to work on, but it depends how you look at it... 2 major factors that always are in the way is the doghouse to access the rear engine and the fan shroud and fan to easily work on the front. I've had both taken off a few times and once those are off you're good to go! 👍 Working underneath is not to bad. Of course there are some tight places (accessing spark plugs/exhaust manifolds/O2 sensors passenger side). But if you have the right tools, air compressor and air ratchet/gun will make fast removal for moats tasks. I'm still working on mine and narrowing it down to the TPS sensor/pigtail/wiring to ECM. I've had this 96 Astro for over 2 years (just tinkering with it). Just having a throttle responce problem... Not sure if you have purchased an astro, but I hope my feedback helps...
Old October 25th, 2018, 4:01 AM
CF Beginner

Default Astro

I had 89 astro I loved it. Was difficult to work on in some spots but for most part it's pretty simple van. Enjoy
Old January 26th, 2020, 4:35 AM
CF Beginner

Short answer is YES, they're a bastard to work on.