Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Pissing 88 Astro

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2008, 6:20 PM
vee
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pissing 88 Astro

Hello

Got a problem with my 1988 Astro.
4.3 L V6
EFI --- I got this wrong it is a TBI { throttle body injection? }
Automatic
Air

I seen on my dads favorites list this forum he had saved and came here to ask questions. It's my Dads van and he is on a special assignment up north for a few months and I can't talk to him right now. I need to try and fix it while he's gone. I'm no good at figuring out what is wrong. I just know how to pull the wrenches right now. Goingbuy a Chilton book on it when I find out what is really really wrong and fix it by the book.

Started running hot on me for a few days, then all of a sudden it started dieing on me when I drove it, then it got to where it wont start at all without dieing before I could even back out of the yard. During all this time there was heavy gas fumes coming into the van.

Now it won't crank at all.

Last time I tried I happen to walk around the back of the van towards my garage and notice a stream of fluid running down my driveway, thought it was gas, till I touched it with my finger and smelled it.

I'm losing all my water out my exhaust pipe.

What could this be coming from?
Old April 15th, 2008, 6:29 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Pissing 88 Astro

Head gasket....
Old April 15th, 2008, 6:35 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

yep head gasket for sure. Sounds like it is so bad that it is hydrostatically locked up(cylinder is completely full of coolant)
Pull the plugs and turn it over to empty the cylinder. put the plugs back in, and drive it to where your gonna work on it
Old April 15th, 2008, 7:43 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

You won't be able to drive it for long if its leaking that bad... just get it where you want to work on it and park it. It will have to be towed to a mechanic if you can't DIY it.