Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Rear door handle broke!

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2012, 1:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear door handle broke!

2002 astro, 2nd rear door handle, mounted on inside, broke. cannot get door open. tried to remove panel but screws are covered at bottom by door being closed! Any way to release the top latch to get door open? This is my work truck.
John
Old December 31st, 2012, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

well admiral ....... the trick is in getting to the vertical center of the closed doors. There is a long rod to the top and bottom that works from the center handle. If you can pull back the covering panel that covers the broken handle and move the bottom and top linkage, you should be able to release the locking pins. There is a way the chevy mechanics repair this problem ..... which is not so uncommon. At most the fix may cost you a panel as well as a new handle. I have changed and adjusted some of these ..... keep them lubricated, as the factory grease tend to dry up over the years and with heavy use. Also .... if you can get a small screwdriver past the broken part, you may be able to rotate the rod guide ever so slightly. ... good luck.
Old January 6th, 2013, 8:29 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you. just got back from vacation and will give it a try in the morning. Will let you know how I make out.
John