Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

starting problems

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2006, 2:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting problems

So my moms astro van doesn't want to turn on. I turn the ignition and nothing, the lights wont turn on either. I tried with jumper cables and nothing. I then tried jumper cables directly to the battery cables and cranks a little but not enough to turn on van. Im pretty sure its not the alternator because it should turn on without assistance from it, correct?
I took starter and battery to autozone to have them tested and they were fine. Is there something else to look at or what's going on.
Old May 20th, 2006, 2:39 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: starting problems

my moms van kinda had the same problem but it wouldnt start in the rain and it turned out bein the distributor cap. hope u r able to fix ur problem
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: starting problems

Did you check your battery cables to see if they are corroded? It sounds to me like you're not getting a good connection at the battery itself. Start by removing the cables and pulling the battery bolts out of the cable ends. If the cable ends are crusty, take a small cup of Coca Cola and let the cable ends soak in it for a few minutes. You may have to scrape inside with a screwdriver to get all the crud out. Make sure that the contact material is clean on both sides. Give this a try, and re-post here to let me know what you found. Good Luck and God Bless,
Revredneck
Old March 24th, 2011, 1:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 70welder
my moms van kinda had the same problem but it wouldnt start in the rain and it turned out bein the distributor cap. hope u r able to fix ur problem

Hello, I have a problem with my Astro everytime it rains
and in the mornings I try to start the my van, it wont start
at all its silent, this happens when it rains only
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:03 AM
CF Active Member

Silent, as in won't even crank? If so that would mean that something is shorting out the starting circuit when moisture is present. I'd inspect the cables from the battery to the started in this case.