Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool sound system? Discuss all your Audio, Video, and other cool electronics here! Please limit the contents to aftermarket only. If you have questions that pertain to a certain model, post it in a model-specific section.

radios

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2008, 12:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radios

i am looking for a new radio and i have a few questions. Can anyone tell me what the 50wX4 means and is it better to be a higher number or a lower number? What are some good brands, I would like one with out the detachable face plate and possibly has a plug for an ipod. Any comments would be great. Thanks
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: radios

Hello;
The 50X4 means simply 50 watts of audio per each of the 4 channels ..... In other words
50 watts for the left front
50 watts for the right front
50 for the left rear
and 50 for the right rear

Hope this helps
Old September 3rd, 2008, 8:33 PM
CF Junior Member

that means 50 watts per channel and there are 4 channels. that is a good wattage for a head unit. most popular and reliable brands are Sony, Alpine, Pioneer, Panasonic. stay away from Dual,and jensen. and dont buy anything from walmart, they may be cheaper and look the same but they are not. the big companies make them with lower quality parts that do not hold up well
Old September 5th, 2008, 8:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Although, that's not the whole picture. Typically, that phrase is referring to maximum power. For true comparison, you have to have 3 "dimensions" in the equation. And not all manufacurers will use it. The 3 are power(watts), frequency range(low bass tones to high treble tones), and distortion(measured as a percentage). The more power you have, the better chance of you hearing the extreme ends of the frequency range(lower bass, and higher treble). With frequency range(or response), the wider the better, although the human ear can only hear so high and this equipment exceeds our ability to hear it. And it only gets worse as we age. My advice here: Don't get old! And the last one is distortion, and less is better. You may see one measured in tenths of a percent and say, "not bad" until you see one in hundreds of a percent. Distortion is an important factor as high doses of distortion are a speaker's worst enemy.
________
Blondelicious

Last edited by StanVan; May 14th, 2011 at 6:03 AM.