Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool sound system? Discuss all your Audio, Video, and other cool electronics here! Please limit the contents to aftermarket only. If you have questions that pertain to a certain model, post it in a model-specific section.

Rear seat DVD player question

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2008, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear seat DVD player question

Does anyone know if I purchase an 08 tahoe with the rear seat entertainment package, can I still use the factory monitor with an aftermarket head unit such as the Pioneer Avic Z2?

I'd prefer to purchase a Tahoe without the RSE, but the only one I can find that matches my specs has one. It has the RSE, but has the standard non-nav, DVD head unit.

Thanks.
Old February 16th, 2008, 4:30 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Rear seat DVD player question

buy the truck without either...then add the aftermarket nav unit, with a slave moniter. will be cheaper and you will be bale to put in a bigger moniter
Old February 16th, 2008, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, that was my initial plan, but I came across this Tahoe I liked and it had it already. I was just curious if I could put the factory monitor to use.

But apparently you cannot. At least not yet. I finally got ahold of a local installer I trust and they said that the signal going from the head unit to the monitor is all modular plugs and noone has made an adapter for it yet. He said probalby in 3-6 months they might have one. But for now, its a no go.

My plan is to put a Pioneer Avic Z2 head unit and some sort of rear seat entertainment. I guess I'll have to keep looking. I'm not paying 1300 bucks for a monitor I can't use.
Old February 17th, 2008, 9:31 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There is the option to hardwire the moniter. I am pretty sure it works on a 12v signal from the radio so turning it on wouldn't be a problem. and you could just wire in an RCA adapter at the radio harness for the video and also audio for the infared headphones