Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

DVD player won't eject DVD

Old June 21st, 2011, 5:08 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts
Question DVD player won't eject DVD

Wife's 2004 LT Tahoe's DVD player won't eject the DVD. When you turn the power On, the lite flashes. The Parental Control is turned off. Read the Owner's Manual and found nothing that helped.

Any ideas before I yank it out?
Old June 21st, 2011, 7:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

73shark,
Have you tried pulling the fuse? I know it sometimes works with CD's that get stuck in the radio. I am not sure if it will work in this case, but it doesn't hurt to try Especially if it will save you the hassle of taking it apart..... Good Luck!!
Old June 21st, 2011, 7:08 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm sure the little woman would have told you if she had put in 2 DVD's but it may give you a place to start...

Service Information 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe - 2WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 1750220
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIT3248A: DVD Player Inoperative - keywords disc display entertainment movie - (Jan 11, 2006)

Subject: DVD Player Inoperative

Models: 2003-2006 Cadillac Full Size Trucks and Utilities

2003-2006 Chevrolet Full Size Trucks and Utilities

2003-2006 GMC Full Size Trucks and Utilities

with RPO U42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment that their DVD player (RPO U42) failed to play and/or eject or load a DVD disc. This condition occurs when a disc is in the player and the customer, not knowing, tries to force a second disc in. The second disc can pop a clamper disc out of position resulting in the DVD player becoming inoperative.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Customers must be careful when loading discs and check to ensure a disc is not already in the player. In April, 2005 a new, slim DVD player was introduced that does not allow the customer to load more than one disc.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a ""do-it-yourselfer"". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2011 General Motors Corporation.
Old June 21st, 2011, 7:33 PM
Administrator

Thanks, I give these a try. Since the grandkids watch it, the two DVD theory is entirely possible.

in2pro: Since they don't list any steps, does that mean the player is trashed?

Last edited by 73shark; June 21st, 2011 at 7:35 PM.
Old June 21st, 2011, 7:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 73shark
Thanks,
in2pro: Since they don't list any steps, does that mean the player is trashed?
I'm still diggin' through the manual to see if and what is covered for repair of the unit...
My guess is anyway it goes the unit is going to have to come out to some extent.. maybe enough to be able to see the eject motors working/not working
find and remove the gummy bear
Old June 21st, 2011, 7:44 PM
Administrator

is it the roof mounted RSE unit?
Old June 21st, 2011, 9:42 PM
Administrator

Yes. Looks like the three bolts in the screen cavity are holding it to the roof. At least that's all I could see w/o removing any plastic.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 7:46 PM
Administrator

The three bolts and a plastic push-in were holding it and then it was captured on the psgr side so it could swing down. I powered up and power lite didn't flash now 'til I pressed the Play button. Got a "Failure to load/eject DVD" message.

After disassembly down to the drive, haven't discovered how to get the DVD out mechanically. No obvious visual problems noted.
Old June 24th, 2011, 8:14 AM
Administrator

I suspect the DVD player has its own internal power supply(ies)
see if you can probe the motor to check for any voltage while the eject is being pushed.
Can also try ohm'ing out the motor, that may or may not say a lot thou, if its open then the motor is bad if you get a reasonable reading then the motor is probably good.
I suspect (as with almost all electronics) its the power supply, check various places for 5v and 12v.
Might also be a good idea to verify that 12v is getting to the RSE unit
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Administrator

For some reason my last post didn't go thru. So again- I know I have 12VDC since the power lite comes on and get the error msg plus can turn on/off Parental Control.

Have torn it down to the bare DVD unit. Since that completely disconnects several levels, not sure can get to the motor w/o further dis-assembly. And that looks risky.

Any websites that might have ideas about interchangeability between GM years and models?

Also might check salvage and ebay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DVD player won't eject DVD