Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

07 Avalanche Map lights

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2015, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 07 Avalanche Map lights

I was putting LEDs in the dome/map lights in my truck and after installing the front 2 I noticed that when I pressed the map light button the lights were very dim, but when I would open the doors the lights would be regular brightness. So I put the original lights back in and tried to turn on the map lights (each individual light) and they would not come on. But when I open the doors they come on (as a dome light).
Also at night, when the doors are closed and I press the button to turn a map light on, the dash lights go off.
I am at a loss.

I tried the fuses but they all look ok, unless there is another fuse for just the map light function, or maybe a relay for the dome light or map lights.

Any Help would be appreciated

J
Old June 14th, 2015, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

Do you still have any LEDs installed? Is it possible you missed removing one that was bad? I've seen inexpensive LEDs (read, cheap) have difficulty running cleanly in GM circuitry.
One thing I've also noted has something to do with the resistance of an incandescent vs LED bulb. With LEDs installed, just having a lit incandescent in the circuit will allow the LEDs to function properly. If your sunvisor has a lighted mirror, try turning that on at the same time as your LED dome lights.
Old June 15th, 2015, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default 07 Avalanche Map lights

I took out the LEDs that I installed(I only installed the two front). Everything is back to the way it was before I started the endeavor. What gets me is that the lights come on when the doors open and when I manually turn on the dome lights with the switch by the headlight switch, but not when I press each individual button for the map light function. ?????????
Please help.
Old June 15th, 2015, 9:39 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Try shorting across the switch terminals, if the lights work and work well, its likely the switch/button contacts are dirty or resistive...
Old June 15th, 2015, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

You might try double checking fuses TBC2B & TBC2C 15A in fuse panel on left side of dash...?
Old June 18th, 2015, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default 07 Avalanche Map lights

I will double check. Does anyone know if there is a circuit board that may have been messed up? I did not pull down the console yet