Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:40 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2008 Avalanche LTZ 4WD Cruise Control Problems

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2010, 4:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2008 Avalanche LTZ 4WD Cruise Control Problems

For the last 4-5K miles I have been experiencing intermittent problems with the cruise control on my Avalanche [now ~39K miles on it I know I should have taken it in immediately when problems started].

I've read most of the posts on cruise control problems and I don't have brake light or dash problems. The cruise light on the switch lights up no problem when the cruise is activated. However, when trying to engage the cruise nothing happens. Some times, if I'm lucky, and only after starting the truck it will work once. But cancel the cruise and then it won't work again.

Now most of the time the cruise will not work at all.

I have to say this really peaves me given I used to use it almost all the time driving to keep my mpg up.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!
Old June 14th, 2010, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default same exact problem

We have the exact same problem on a 2008 Silverado 2500 HD 2wd ext cab. I dont have any suggestions other than this is the first post i have seen that matches our problem exactly. I hope someone can answer this one.
Old June 14th, 2010, 4:27 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If I could I would like to message both of you about your issues. Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevroelt Customer Service
Old June 14th, 2010, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

That works fine for me. How would you like to contact me?
Old June 14th, 2010, 8:43 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 09-08-68-001

Date: November 13, 2009

Subject: Cruise Control Turns Off During Operation (Reprogram ECM)

Models:
2008-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado
2008-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2009 GMC Sierra
2008-2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL
2008-2009 HUMMER H2

Condition

On rare occasions, some customers may comment that the cruise control turned off. This typically occurs during operation and while pulling up and releasing both driver door window switches or activating the heated windshield washer fluid system in cold weather conditions with a battery charge below 80%.

Cause

Cruise control command cancellation is caused by a voltage spike that occurs when the driver door window switches are released or when the heated washer fluid system is activated.

Correction

A revised calibration has been developed to address this condition. Technicians are to reprogram the ECM with the latest calibrations available. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB using the Service Programming System (SPS). Refer to the SPS procedures in SI. SPS may require the technician to select the calibration from the ECM calibration screen.

Note
This calibration update should only be used when this loss of cruise control condition is experienced.

When using a Tech 2(R) or a multiple diagnostic interface (MDI) for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.

During programming, the battery voltage must be maintained within the proper range of 12-15 volts. Only use the approved Midtronics(R) PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent during programming
Old June 15th, 2010, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you very much. I'll bring that to the attention of my dealer when I have them perform the heated washer solution recall fix.
Old June 26th, 2010, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

I took my Avalanche to the local dealer [Buckalew Chevrolet, Conroe, TX] and they took care of three issues I had. First was the heated washer fluid recall, second was a faulty Left/Rear electric door latch mechanism [that's now three of the four that have been replaced] and finally the cruise control problem.

First I should say my Avalanche was ~3-4K out of warranty. A major thank you to Buckalew for performing all the work for free under their "good will" policy.

Finally, the Buckalew service associate said the cruise control problem was a faulty break switch. They went ahead and reprogrammed the ECM per the technical Bulletin No.: 09-08-68-001. I've been driving the Avalanche for a day or two and so far no cruise control problems.

Thanks MDTAHOE for your help!!
Old September 21st, 2010, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 gmc sierra cruise problems

My truck has a cruise control problem also, it turns on when it wants, and I have only used it a handful of times in the past. Very frustrating since it has only 46k on it. Dealer gives the same answer of we can charge to check it and if you don't use it much it should not be a problem. Great.
Old October 15th, 2010, 3:17 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation Cruise Control problems!

I am having the same exact cruise control problem with my 07 Avalanche.. It will maybe work 1 time per ride for a short time then shut off. I have no lights out or LEDS.

If you read this Jeff Morris, Chevroelt Customer Service or anyone else who can help me please give me some advise. I just went over my warranty so thats out of the picture.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 sierra cruise control

I brought my truck to a dealer that would not charge $89 to look at, and it was the brake switch that was bad. It seems to be a consistent problem for this truck. It cost me $140 to fix. Im sure that is your problem. Part number 15861245 BPP sensor failure according to my receipt. $110 for labor, $22.16 for part. It took 1/2 hour to have fixed. Not bad for a half hours work for the dealer, but still cheaper than an extended warranty!

Last edited by 84camaro; October 22nd, 2010 at 9:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 Avalanche LTZ 4WD Cruise Control Problems