Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:40 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2008 Avalanche LTZ 4WD Cruise Control Problems

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2010, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 2007 Avalanche LT that has the same issue. We found this problem before we even bought it. We were told that it would be fixed. They replaced the brake switch and was told that it would fix it. It did not. Then they replaced the battery and said that there was a low voltage code that they thought the battery was causing the problem. So that did not work either. So I am now trying to find answers so that we can get it fixed without having to have it in and out for service over and over. Taking two carseats in and out of vehicles is not fun, over and over again.

Ours when you hit the button, the orangey yellow light will come on but it will not engage. You might try it once and it work, then a second later, it will not.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old March 6th, 2011, 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

Was there ever a definative answer for this problem, my truck is doing the same thing...
Old March 21st, 2011, 2:22 AM
CF Beginner

Default cruise control

Can anyone tell me how to change the faulty break sensor? Part # 15861245
Old March 21st, 2011, 10:53 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 84camaro
I brought my truck to a dealer that would not charge $89 to look at, and it was the brake switch that was bad. It seems to be a consistent problem for this truck. It cost me $140 to fix. Im sure that is your problem. Part number 15861245 BPP sensor failure according to my receipt. $110 for labor, $22.16 for part. It took 1/2 hour to have fixed. Not bad for a half hours work for the dealer, but still cheaper than an extended warranty!
FF481, I think this post will help you. Though before you go and change that sensor I would suggest that you have your vehicle checked to see if this is the case with your vehicle as well. I hope that helps you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old August 21st, 2011, 9:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 Avalanche intermittent Cruise Control

I had the same intermittent Cruise Control problem on my 07 Avalanche LTZ. It would work for a while, then just stop engaging. It would start working next time you started up the truck... for a while.
I saw postings in here that it was the brake switch. I tried trouble shooting it... when it was working, I just tapped side of brake pedal and sure enough it tripped it off. I bought a new brake switch rom Chev Dealer ($32.00) and changed it... pretty easy to do.
I noticed that the white grease from the original line installation seemed to be getting into the button on old switch... likely the root cause of the whole problem.
Thanks to others in here for all your help!
The following users liked this post:
popeye304 (October 22nd, 2021)
Old August 30th, 2011, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the Avalanche on a 3,000km trip to DC and Bristol and the cruise control worked perfectly... finally!... Now to get the Navigation System to not get lost all the time..lol... that's another string I need to start
Old February 1st, 2012, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up 07/08 Avalanche Intermittent Cruise Control Problem

Hi, I had the same problem with my New Body Style '07 Avalanche. It's basically the same as the '08. It started out the same as others have said sometimes it came on, sometimes not. When I did get it working, it would randomly turn off and progressively got worse. One time, when it came on, I put my foot under the brake pedal and pull up/back toward me and the cruise control instantly went off. That clued me in to it being a brake switch problem. I tried fiddling with the wires and moving the brake peddle switch and occasionally would get it working again. So, I decided to look for a forum that covered this problem and that landed me here! I love the internet!!

I called the dealer for the part and learned that it is a #25981009 Brake Peddle Position Sensor. It cost me $18.00 plus tax, I used a small [3" long] flat tip screwdriver and it took all of five minutes to install! It is a rectangle switch that is located on the brake peddle arm. There is a small A/C vent that slides apart to give you access to it. Remove the wiring plug, use the flat tip screw driver to remove the clip and slide the switch along with the push rod that is attached to the brake peddle to the right and off of the brake peddle arm. Install the new switch in reverse and you are done! It's super simple!

Good Luck!

Bob

Last edited by 4azbob; February 1st, 2012 at 6:39 PM.
Old March 28th, 2021, 4:59 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
If I could I would like to message both of you about your issues. Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevroelt Customer Service
Thanks Jeff. please contact me at holzap001@gmail.com

Old March 29th, 2021, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

Default Check fuse

Originally Posted by Relayer56
For the last 4-5K miles I have been experiencing intermittent problems with the cruise control on my Avalanche [now ~39K miles on it I know I should have taken it in immediately when problems started].

I've read most of the posts on cruise control problems and I don't have brake light or dash problems. The cruise light on the switch lights up no problem when the cruise is activated. However, when trying to engage the cruise nothing happens. Some times, if I'm lucky, and only after starting the truck it will work once. But cancel the cruise and then it won't work again.

Now most of the time the cruise will not work at all.

I have to say this really peaves me given I used to use it almost all the time driving to keep my mpg up.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!
I had the same problem on my 2007 Avalanche. It started by going out only sometimes then stopped working for good. Took it to a shop and they replaced a break pedal sensor and that fixed it.

Last edited by BLK.AV2007; March 29th, 2021 at 11:12 AM.