Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2015, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the problem is theres not one thing that causes it, theres literally hundreds of possibilities to make the traction control/stabilitrak shut off and atleast dozens that cause the reduced power message.
Old December 9th, 2015, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ViPirate
Had the same problem tonight with my 2010 Chev 2500hd driving back from a ski trip in a snow storm. Was in 4wd the whole time with a snow covered highway. Three times power dropped out and could not maintain highway speed. Rpm was indicating 2000 but speed dropped to 15 mph on highway. Had to turn truck off then on again to clear problem and get power back. This is obviously some kind of computer issue with the stabiltrack system where it gets confused operating for extended periods on slippery terrain.

This happened about a year ago in similar snowy conditions but the problem went away after the storm and hasnt bothered me since till now. I didnt take it in for service last time but think i will this time
REDUCED ENGINE POWER CODE #P1516
I've had this problem with my 03 Tahoe 5.3v8 for a very long long time now and we all know it is frustrating as hell! It has been an ongoing issue because it's simply doesn't do it in the warm summer months. The problem only happened when it was damp and cold outside. Finally I ordered three parts on Amazon $229 and had a local mechanic replace the parts for $65 and have now drove over 300 miles in freezing temperatures w/o the chime or engine light. Replacement part listed below:

Part 1:
ACDelco PT2628 GM Original Equipment Black Multi-Purpose Pigtail

Part 2:
ACDelco 217-2293 GM Original Equipment Fuel Injection Throttle Body with Throttle Actuator

Part 3:
Fel-Pro 61070 Throttle Body Mounting Gasket

I got these three parts on Amazon.com and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a difficult diy but I don't have a garage and not allowed to do my own repairs at the apartment complex I live. Anyway, I'm pushing 400 miles in the cold with NO'reduced engine power' chime or engine light!
I'm still half expecting it to come back, but hoping like hell it doesn't.
Old January 5th, 2016, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
islandarmor,

If you would like for us to follow up on your visits to your dealership, please send us a private message here on the forum that includes your name, address and phone, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

All the best,
Sarah (Assisting Louis)
Chevrolet Customer Service
Where can I send you a private message?
Old January 10th, 2016, 4:39 AM
CF Beginner

Default Accelator petal sensor

I know this thread is a little old but since it comes up at the top of Google for this issue I wanted to add what I have learned. Had the exact same issue come up on my 2012 sonic these last few weeks. The check engine soon light came on and stayed on then the stability control light did the same within a matter of a few days. Still drove fine until the reduced engine power light came on. Suddenly I had no acceleration power. Took it to the dealership they ran all of their diagnostics and with the error codes they pinned it to the accelerator pedal sensor. Replaced a $50 part and she's right as rain. I thought the labor cost was a bit outrageous but expected it from a dealership. If I would have had more time I would have shopped around for a better deal but I was in dire need if a quick turnaround which they provided.
Old January 10th, 2016, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello. I am confused so much. I am a 30 year master tech. But I am at a lost. See I have not only the same troubles that other have posted here about service stabilitrak / reduced engine / traction control off/ parking assist off on My 2010 Avalanche . I also have it going on in my Mothers Caviler with the 2.2 in it. I tried getting the codes out on both with my OBDII reader and won't communicate with nether of them ? I also am working on a friends Alairo 2002 with the 2.2 my reader does read on this. was their some change in the OBDII from 2002 -up ? I am a disabled Veteran now but I still like doing repairs on cars/trucks. I read a lot on here about TSB's and certain warranty things would these happen to apply to troubles I am having? Any input will help. Thank you..
Old January 10th, 2016, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

obdII hasn't changed since 96, what is your "reader"? you may need an actual scan tool, does the reader power up or just not communicate?
Old January 10th, 2016, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

It just don't communicate. what is weird is that it does work on other cars if used it on. just not the two I mentioned..O the reader is a Actron model CP9135. I did notice that some of the wire pins on the car/truck I mentioned are not in same pinholes as the reader .But I did not move any

Last edited by Armyvetjohn; January 10th, 2016 at 2:00 PM. Reason: added more
Old January 11th, 2016, 11:20 PM
CF Veteran

do you have power and ground at the dlc?
Old January 13th, 2016, 6:55 AM
CF Beginner

I would say yes being the unit powers up. I am looking into getting a newer test unit with live feed code reader ETC ETC. up to around 400.00 Any rec's on one..
Note the trouble I have seems to only happen when its Cold outside..
Old January 13th, 2016, 1:26 PM
CF Veteran

The only scantools I have used are not the kind that an average DIYer could/would want to pay for so sorry I don't really have any recommendations on that. The only other thing coming to mind would be to go into individual modules and see how many communicate

Quick Reply: engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control