Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control

Old August 27th, 2017, 6:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!

I'm new here so I will first quickly introduce myself. I'm Bart, I'm 28 and from Belgium. Since I was a kid I loved American cars and everytime I visited the US I just enjoyed renting one of those bad-*** cars. But now since a few months I own my own Chevrolet Avalanche '08 LT! I bought it from somebody here in Belgium that imported it back in 2008. It's like driving the American dream!

Now the problem.. I've read it many times, and this topic is about the same issue. What exactly occured:
After 2 weeks driving faultless I've noticed that one day on the highway (speed around 50mph in traffic) a few messages came on. First 'Service Traction Control' immidiately followed by 'Service Stabilitrak'. Occasionaly it will give an extra error 'Traction Control OFF'. When those messages came on I immidiately felt that the engine was turning a bit rough. It would still make the speed I want it to go, but it would take more time and like the transmission is having difficulties knowing when to shift. Then once I exit the highway it mostly goes away.

I notice that at low(er) speeds the message barely comes on, but almost certainly when I hit the highway.. It's a bit strange really.. But what I've learnt from you guys is that the problem is often the throttle body. Well, I don't know the least about cars but thanks to you guys I start learning a bit. So what I did now, is ordered some throttle body cleaner on Ebay and I'm gonna try to gently clean the throttle body and see if that fixes anything. Anybody that can suggest anything else trying while I'm at it?

Thanks a lot and I keep you posted!
Old August 27th, 2017, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

I'm not a mechanic although I do try to do my own repairs whenever possible. Since you will be cleaning the throttle body, you might want to also clean your Mass Airflow Sensor and CRC makes a spray just for that. I also add a can of Seafoam into the gas tank every couple of months to keep the fuel system clean. Good luck, hope that takes care of the problem.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 4:02 PM
CF Beginner

Well, today I cleaned my throttle body and the MAS. Just before the cleaning it was really bad with the 'Traction Control' and 'Stabilitrak' error, it came on and off like every minute. The chime drove me nuts! After the cleaning (coincidence or not) it was a lot better! Although I still got the error once on the way back, it seems to be already much better. Maybe I'll give it another clean in a few days for maybe bits I've missed.

Another question! I saw a video on youtube that showed an easy way to check your MAS. If you unplug the cable that your engine should stop, is that also applicable on Avalanches? Because I tried it and I heard that the engine turned slightly different but not rough or didn't stop at all. Can this indicate that I need to replace my MAS, and in that case, could that also be a reason for my TC and Stabilitrak errors?

Thanks guys!
Old September 15th, 2017, 12:17 AM
CF Beginner

Hello everyone.

I am experiencing these same issues that have been stated in this thread.

I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L Flex Fuel. I am experiencing a rough idle, very hard shifts from first to second, check engine light (p0300, p0301, p0307), and error messages "Service Stabilitrack, Service Traction Control, Stabilitrack off, Traction Control off."

I have just under 150K on the odometer. I think that my situation falls right in line with either of these TSB's - 10-06-01-008J or 12-06-01-001B. How can I find out if I still qualify to have these repairs done, or at least checked out by a dealer without having to fork over a bundle of cash?
Old September 15th, 2017, 8:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LAN harness has terminating resistors. one at both ends of harness. replace those. replace battery cables. have dealer check cables for correct resistance BEFORE he sells them to you. if out of correct range then dont buy them.... bet ya donut it fixes your issues.
Old September 15th, 2017, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default LAN Resistor

Since my Camaro is now running fine after cleaning the throttle body and MAS, I'm responding for those still working through their problems. So you are saying that the problem might be solved by fixing the LAN. The 'Local Area Network' which is a digital control system in our GM vehicles. How do we get to and identify this harness and how are the end resistors attached? How are they replaced? Any pic's you can provide? Your info is interesting, just not sure what we can do with it. Please elaborate.

Originally Posted by Jimbo B
LAN harness has terminating resistors. one at both ends of harness. replace those. replace battery cables. have dealer check cables for correct resistance BEFORE he sells them to you. if out of correct range then dont buy them.... bet ya donut it fixes your issues.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

The fuel pump was replaced and all alerts disappeared. The truck is running very smooth and a lot more powerful. 229,xxx miles on a 2007 Avalanche still rolling strong.
Old September 24th, 2017, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

I’m experiencing the exact same problem with my 2011 Silverado. No one seems to know how to fix the problem. I’ve contacted the dealership & received the “first we’ve heard of this problem” speech. I’m ready to get rid of it!!!!
Old October 2nd, 2017, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same issues on 2007 GMC Yukon

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
We'll gladly look into any recalls specific to your vehicle, mrblount. Feel free to also check recalls.gm.com. Send us your VIN if there's anything you'd like for us to check on our end.
We'll gladly look into any recalls specific to your vehicle, mrblount. Feel free to also check recalls.gm.com. Send us your VIN if there's anything you'd like for us to check on our end.

I have a 2007 Yukon and the stabiltrzc, service traction control lights came on. I honestly do t have the $$ to fix this due to a lot going on with family issues. I have read that some dealers have been fixing this. Can someone please call me

shannon
704-685-1943
vin 1GKFC130X7R403478

We hate to hear you're also experiencing some issues with your Silverado, muttus. Please keep us posted on your service visit. We're available via private message if you require additional assistance.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
​​​​​​​
I have a 2007 Yukon and the stabiltrzc, service traction control lights came on. I honestly do t have the $$ to fix this due to a lot going on with family issues. I have read that some dealers have been fixing this. Can someone please call me

shannon
704-685-1943
vin 1GKFC130X7R403478

We hate to hear you're also experiencing some issues with your Silverado, muttus. Please keep us posted on your service visit. We're available via private message if you require additional assistance.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 2nd, 2017, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same issues on 2007 GMC Yukon

shannon
704-685-1943
vin 1GKFC130X7R403478

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

shannon
704-685-1943
vin 1GKFC130X7R403478

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

shannon
704-685-1943
vin 1GKFC130X7R403478

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control