Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2017, 1:52 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ Jones
I’m experiencing the exact same problem with my 2011 Silverado. No one seems to know how to fix the problem. I’ve contacted the dealership & received the “first we’ve heard of this problem” speech. I’m ready to get rid of it!!!!
they are lying i kust left dealership and they told me the same thing they never saw that. I just gave them the piece of **** back and went somewhere else.
Old December 18th, 2017, 5:22 PM
Fey
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Everyone,

I'm experiencing the same problems as everyone in this thread with my 2007 Chevy Avalanche. Service Stabilitrack, Service Traction Control, Stabilitrack off, Traction Control off. Reduced Engine Power. Can't drive over 25 mph, had to use towing gear to get it home.

First started in May 2017 at 112k miles. I had the fuel tank switch replaced. It ran fine for several months until August 2017 at 121k miles. This time I was 100 miles from home so had to take it to the closet Chevy dealership. After three days they said it was the ECM.

Here's the mechanics notes on the invoice:
Scanned vehicle and found that fuel pressure sensor was not reading voltage. Dropped fuel tank and found that circuit was short to ground. OHMED out wires on fuel pressure sensor circuit and found that low reference was not an open loop as it should be. Disconnected connector at ECM and circuit changed to having an open loop. Circuit was shorting to ground inside ECM. Replaced bad ECM, First ECM fixed issue but would cause vehicle to lose PWM signal on the injectors causing vehicle to stall. Replaced with another ECM and reprogrammed theft, learned crankshaft sensor and cleaned throttle body plate. Test drove vehicle and problems did not return.

$1080.00 charge. I was told that this was NOT a known issue and since truck was at 121k for this second repair I had to pay for it.

Yesterday, the same problems started AGAIN. I took it to the dealership that I bought it new from in 2007. I was again told that this is NOT a known issue so will have to pay for all repairs. Several hours later I'm told that it's the accelerator cable.

I'm terribly disappointed that Chevrolet never felt it necessary to notify owners beginning in 2014 when apparently these issues started surfacing. I've always gotten great service from Chevy until now.

Does anyone have the correct repair for this issue? Thanks.
Old January 5th, 2018, 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

Did u find out anything about the stabiltrack problem? I have a 09 1500 and when I put it in 4 low it says stabiltrack off and will not move any idea what the problem is
Old January 5th, 2018, 11:24 PM
Fey
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Dexter Bradley
Did u find out anything about the stabiltrack problem? I have a 09 1500 and when I put it in 4 low it says stabiltrack off and will not move any idea what the problem is
No, my Avalanche is still not fixed.

The accelerator pedal was replaced on my 2007 Avalanche. It drove fine for a week then started doing the same thing. I get an error code Stabilitrak needs service, Traction control needs service, Stabilitrak is offline, Traction control is offline, then finally the dreaded Reduced Engine Power.

I'll be honest, I'm fed up with Chevrolet. This is a hazardous driving condition that they apparently cannot fix on my Avalanche. I will be taking it back yet again to the Chevrolet dealership that I purchased it from.

I have also called the national customer service center for Chevrolet and opened a case in regards to this known issue.
Old January 6th, 2018, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

I had this issue a few years ago. The truck was at the dealership multiple times and the service adviser refused to listen to what I was saying and changed multiple parts with no successful results. After multiple calls to GM the service manager at the dealership got involved and they changed many of the same things I have seen referenced here. The service manager even claims he drove it home for a few days and had no issues. I got the Avalanche back and had the reduced power on the interstate. I then went to a mechanic friend of mine who with an independent shop and we were driving around and the door locks were cycling up and down. He replaced the battery cables and connections and I have not had any issues for the last 20,000 plus miles.
Old January 6th, 2018, 1:51 PM
Fey
CF Beginner

At this point I'll try anything. Do you have a ballpark price for replacing the battery cables and connections?
Old January 6th, 2018, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

This happened to me yesterday for the first time and again this morning. Chevy EquinoxLT, 2011, 107,000. After work, I decided to do a little Ubering. 35 degrees out (I’m reading how this is happening to a lot of others when it’s cold out), and I was half a mile from Picking up my first customer when, while riding around a curve, my speed shoots down from 45 to 20, the engine started shaking and the diagnostic screen began indicating “stabilitrak service” and “ reduced engine power.” Needless to say, I canceled that Uber pickup. I turned my car off for about a minute and turned it back on to no problem but the engine light on. I was able to get home okay after that, though the drive felt rough. I checked online and everything I read suggested to clean the throttle body, so this morning I head to autozone to get some throttle body cleaner, sea foam, and some shop towels. While turning onto the road from my house, all of the errors from the night before started indicating simultaneously and the car barely crept up the hill . Again, I turned it off. This time, when I turned it back on, I turned off my traction control. I got to autozone, threw an odbII on there and the error code came back reflecting throttle body sensor. I figure that probably electronic, but I wanted to clean it anyways just to make sure. In removing the air intake so that I could get to the tb a little easier, I disconnected the intake snoriel, and a bunch of neon green stuff oozed out. I turned the newly removed air intake manifold?? on its side and the green, avocado/peanut butter/chocolate milkshake fluid flowed out incredibly slow.. I ended up removing the TB and got it clean as if it was brand new. I decided to pull the dipstick tho, and I saw milkshake. I opened the main oil cap and it was coated in this milkshake stuff..tomorrow, I’m going to run a few oil changes thru as well as poor some bars into the radiator to see if this stops what I believe is the coolant mixing with the oil.hopefully this just started and there’s a chance to save the car.any ideas/ suggestions?
Old January 12th, 2018, 7:46 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by islandarmor
Hi all,
two weeks ago my avalanche 2007 z71 started showing these three warnings
engine power is reduced , service stabilitrak and service traction control
I took it to the dealer and he said the problem was " throttle body" p2145
so I changed it , after a week the problem came back
this time the dealer said the " throttle body" was not learned, so he made it learned or whatever
this week the same problem came again !
I want to mention that the engine turned off "de-energized" while I'm driving three times !
Any ideas ?
just got my tps done. My research showed other people that still had the problem had success by having dealership disable the onstar computer
Old January 12th, 2018, 8:11 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Johnpeck1
just got my tps done. My research showed other people that still had the problem had success by having dealership disable the onstar computer
I may have to go that route. I cleaned throttle body and snorkel, and in starting to flush my engine, when I released the oil cap it came out black, so it was only creamy up top. I had been idling for a long period that previous day due to Uber, so I’m thinking condensation could have built up. I still did a flush and oil and filter change, reinstalled and relearned the TB. So far so good. If it acts up, I’ll take it into the dealership to turn off onstar
Old January 12th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Fey
CF Beginner

I'm due to get my 2007 Avalanche back tomorrow. The dealership claims this time that the throttle body was "shredded" and had to be replaced. They also insisted that it needed a tune up because I had never had one done and at 125k miles it could be causing a problem.

$1,400.00 estimate.

So, I've had a fuel sensor replaced. An ECM replaced, the accelerator pedal replaced and now the throttle body. All for the exact same errors. "Stabilitrak offline, Traction Control offline, Engine Power Reduced."

Quick Reply: engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control