Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control

Old January 31st, 2018, 3:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know these posts are old but people like myself are still having the same issue, even in 2018. On my 2011 Silverado, I've had this same "engine reduced power" issue and both times it was when I filled up with gas the day before from a gas station I don't normally use. (Both times at this same station). I shut the truck off and restarted it and I was able to proceed at normal power but with the engine light still on. I opened the fuel cap and then closed it again as I heard someone also say they got rid of their engine light this way??? Anyways, that's what I did and it has worked both times, coincidence perhaps but it worked. I'm curious as to anyone that experienced this issue shortly or the day after filling up with fuel.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Hi everyone. I drive a 2011 tahoe and for the past 3 to 6 randomly the service stabilitrak and service traction control warning lights will come on, but today was the first time the "engine power reduced" came on. Scared the fool out of me. I've seen several possible fixes in here, but I'm curious what's the first thing they should look at? Thanks!!
Old February 3rd, 2018, 11:44 AM
Fey
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gamecock82
Hi everyone. I drive a 2011 tahoe and for the past 3 to 6 randomly the service stabilitrak and service traction control warning lights will come on, but today was the first time the "engine power reduced" came on. Scared the fool out of me. I've seen several possible fixes in here, but I'm curious what's the first thing they should look at? Thanks!!
Your repair shop will go by what the check engine light is telling them, unfortunately. My 2007 Avalanche has had 4 different repairs for the exact same problem: Service Stabilitrak, Service Traction Control, Stabilitrak Offline, Traction Control Offline and finally Reduced Engine Power.

1. Fuel sensor replaced
2. ECM replaced
3. Accelerator pedal replaced
4. Throttle Body Assembly, including sensor replaced.

Check to see if your vehicle falls under the extended warranty for this issue.
Old February 6th, 2018, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same issue with my car message saying traction control service stabilitrak engine power reduced I have a 2012 Impala can someone tell me if this problem was resolved for there Chevy
Old February 14th, 2018, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 Chevy Avalanche

I am having the same issue as mentioned in this thread. I have a service stability track warning and notification that traction control is turned off. My check engine light is on and I have a rough idle when in Gear. Sounds like I have the same issue as most people on here. I was wondering if you could give me some assistance with getting this problem resolved with my 2008 Chevy avalanche. My VIN number is:

3GNFK12378G167844

I live in Kalamazoo Michigan and there is a DeNooyer Chevrolet dealership just down the road from me on stadium Drive. I would love to take it in there for assessment, but this problem started happening over the last 1 to 2 years and my current mileage is 178,000. I’m concerned that maybe it’s not covered any longer? Or is there any sort of assistance at the dealership and Chevrolet and provide me So that I am not stuck financially for the whole bill since this appears to be a known in common issue. I love my truck and I’m hoping for some assistance and look forward to your reply.

Thanks,
jonathan slater

QUOTE=Chevrolet Customer Service;289565]Hey there,

Very sorry for this concerns with your vehicle, and we can certainly understand how frustrating this may seem for you. We would be happy to look into this further for you. Please send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership. Please be sure to let us know how everything goes at the dealership, and if further assistance is needed.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care[/QUOTE]
Old February 15th, 2018, 3:03 PM
Fey
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, this will be a long and probably expensive repair. I just got my 2007 Avalanche back from the dealership for the 5th time. This repair was done by the wiring expert who traced all the errors back to a wire that was being chaffed by the HVAC system. Apparently this was causing a short that triggered the Stabilitrak and Traction Control errors and ultimately the Engine Power Reduced issue.

So, I've paid for the following repairs:
1. Fuel sensor replaced
2. ECM replaced
3. Accelerator pedal replaced
4. Throttle Body Assembly, including sensor replaced.
5. Wiring repair

Total cost, about $4,000.00

Call Chevrolet and open a case.
The following users liked this post:
Anthony Kelshaw (January 31st, 2021)
Old March 1st, 2018, 7:30 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down we all have to keep making complaints the throttlebody

We all have to keep making plans to complaints about how the Chevy throttle bodies are not functioning and that they all malfunction after 30,000 miles between 40 and 50 most of the time I thinking on it brand new car because they extended Cadillacs warranty for throttlebody and they were replacing all the throttle bodies for free because people kept making complaints about it so we have to keep making a plate I have filed a complaint With the transportation safety because I don’t think it’s fair that we have to come out of cost because it happens right after the warranty ends and that the throttlebody was part of the powertrain warranty at one time but since it got changed from mechanical part to a electronica porch it is not part of the powertrain want to anymore which I cannot understand since it’s still does the same thing just comes up as a different component so if I changed how I look in my not the same person. So if we keep making the plans it will get heard and eventually it will get fixed and I won’t have to be afraid to drive my car because it might stop on me while I’m in drive but chevy doesn’t care whether or not my car decides to stop on me as I’m driving not to come to slow stop at come to a halt stop.
Old March 22nd, 2018, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by islandarmor
Hi all,
two weeks ago my avalanche 2007 z71 started showing these three warnings
engine power is reduced , service stabilitrak and service traction control
I took it to the dealer and he said the problem was " throttle body" p2145
so I changed it , after a week the problem came back
this time the dealer said the " throttle body" was not learned, so he made it learned or whatever
this week the same problem came again !
I want to mention that the engine turned off "de-energized" while I'm driving three times !
Any ideas ?

did you ever get this resolved? If so what did you do having same issues with my Chevy 2011 impala it’s frustrating
Old March 22nd, 2018, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

Default just wait... I’m in talks with an attorney. Trying to get a class action suit.

Just wait I am in talks with a class-action attorney because Cadillac had also the same problem Cadilac , but unlike Chevy owners Cadillac owners complained to GM like I did and eventually Cadillac extended the throttlebody warranty and got everything covered for those who had problems so complain to GM call them and complain so that it is on the record .

I NEED EVERYONE TO COMPLAIN TO GM!! Don’t just fix it.

Email me your info so I can forward it to my attorney. They need more people to come forward with this problem so that they could actually have a case on their hands.

Alee818@gmail.com

did you ever get this resolved? If so what did you do having same issues with my Chevy 2011 impala it’s frustrating
[/QUOTE]
Old March 27th, 2018, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Silverado- engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control!

So I have spent the last two weeks searching for any recalls or extended warranties on this same exact problem which has started happening to my 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500. I have only 67,000 mile on it and keep it serviced regularly. Last week while traveling at about 68 mph on the highway I was a victim of the what I now know is the dreaded REDUCED ENGINE POWER, SERVICE STABILTRACK, SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL. My truck immediately dropped to under 30 mph on the highway and thankfully the guy following behind me was able to slow down in time before rear ending me! I immediately hit the internet to see what this could be and my god this is an issue that is so widespread across these vehicles it is absolutely horrible. Not only did I find hundreds of people reporting this issue, the "fix" seems to be even worse. People taking their vehicles to the dealership and being charged hundreds of dollars for them to take a stab at the issue with most people requiring multiple trips. At this point Chevy/GM is well aware of this issue and are doing as little as possible to fix it. I have registered my issue with the U.S. DOT National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (as have plenty of others) but I am hoping GM/Chevy step up to the plate on this one a do the right thing. I also came across a few people that are in the process of starting class action lawsuits for this issue.

Please let me know if there is anyone that has found some sort or reimbursement or service help from GM on this issue for the Silverados (I have seen a few on some other models).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control