Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2014, 2:24 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi bcklucerne.

We can definitely understand your frustrations and we will be happy to look into this for you. Please feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name. We will be happy to help with your concern!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 7th, 2014, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dc2002-- what was the cost of the on-star computer?

Originally Posted by Dc2002
Look into your on star. It took the dealer 3 weeks of troubleshooting and countless call to GM engineers to locate the problem. Due the how complexly on star is integrated into GM vehicles, it can and will cause issues that will lead most in the wrong direction. We tried a new throttle body, and it did nothing. We tried a new harness, still nothing. Finally, the engineer told the dealer to remove my on star computer and jumper the system to see if the problem continued. After 2 weeks of driving with no issues I had the dealer install a new computer. That was in August of 2013, and I haven't a single issue since. I highly recommend looking into this. It will save you money in the long run by not changing throttle bodies every couple months

Hi Dc2002,

Having same issues. Throttle body replaced two weeks ago on '04 Suburban but same message of reduced engine power, etc. popping up. What was the cost of the on-star computer replacement? Thanks
Old November 4th, 2014, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

We own a 2012 Chevy Equinox with about 77K miles on it, today I have experienced the Service StabiliTrak light and the Check Engine Light coming on, right now there is no loss of power at least right now. We just spent $1100 to fix other things, new injectors, new cam shaft lobe, and the catalytic converter was replaced (under warranty). I do find this totally ridiculous for a vehicle that is only 2 years old. Right now I have it scheduled to go to the Dealer tomorrow, Adam's Cheverolet in Hav De Grace, MD, so far Jerry our service rep has been somewhat helpful but honestly these folks seem completely clueless on how to fix an obvious problem that has apparently been around for a long time and with a lot of vehicles in Chevy's line up, I do think they the company need to be stepping up and fixing this issue at there cost not the owners cost.
Old November 4th, 2014, 3:54 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by daviddwhite
We own a 2012 Chevy Equinox with about 77K miles on it, today I have experienced the Service StabiliTrak light and the Check Engine Light coming on, right now there is no loss of power at least right now. We just spent $1100 to fix other things, new injectors, new cam shaft lobe, and the catalytic converter was replaced (under warranty). I do find this totally ridiculous for a vehicle that is only 2 years old. Right now I have it scheduled to go to the Dealer tomorrow, Adam's Cheverolet in Hav De Grace, MD, so far Jerry our service rep has been somewhat helpful but honestly these folks seem completely clueless on how to fix an obvious problem that has apparently been around for a long time and with a lot of vehicles in Chevy's line up, I do think they the company need to be stepping up and fixing this issue at there cost not the owners cost.
Hi David,

I apologize for these concerns regarding your Equinox. Please let us know how everything went with your dealership, and if further assistance is needed with anything. We would be happy to look into this for you if necessary, and give the dealership a call on your behalf. Just send us a private message!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 6th, 2014, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control

I'm having the same issue with my 2010 Silverado Z71 5.3 with 80,000 miles. I cannot believe this is not a recall!! Has ANYONE found a true cause and resolution to this issue? This has been going on for way too long now! Come on Chevy!!! I'm trying to avoid endless trips to the dealership service department and wasted money on unneeded service as they chase their tails with no resolution. Any help here would be appreciated.
Old November 6th, 2014, 2:06 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by 10acfan1
I'm having the same issue with my 2010 Silverado Z71 5.3 with 80,000 miles. I cannot believe this is not a recall!! Has ANYONE found a true cause and resolution to this issue? This has been going on for way too long now! Come on Chevy!!! I'm trying to avoid endless trips to the dealership service department and wasted money on unneeded service as they chase their tails with no resolution. Any help here would be appreciated.
We definitely recognize your frustration, 10acfan1! We understand you're hesitant to visit the dealership without the guarantee of a fix. If there's anything we can do to help please private message us your VIN, contact information and preferred Chevy service center.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 7th, 2014, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 10acfan1
My 2010 Silverado did it too. There are several GM service bulletins for your issue. The pcv valve or the active fuel management valve can cause oil to be sprayed in the cylinders causing buildup on the walls and fouling the plugs which causes the computer to send the warnings.
They need to remove everything to clean the cylinders, install a new valve cover relocating the pcv valve and/or install a cover on the active fuel management device.
They may not want to cover it under the 100,000 powertrain warranty, but use the help from customer care, they can help. ae
Old November 7th, 2014, 11:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default seems to be fixed, finally

My 115k Suburban had same issues-- reduced engine power, stabilitrack, etc. On first visit dealer said codes directed them to change out throttle body. Two weeks after picking up the car, happened again. Dealer said same codes and would replace the new throttle body with another new throttle body. As I had read earlier, I told the dealer to reset the OnStar system. They kind of laughed and me and rolled their eyes a bit but I was desperate for my fixed and once again reliable car be returned to me. They did both, replaced the throttle body and reset the OnStar. Everything has been fine since them-- knock on wood. Good luck all
Old November 20th, 2014, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default Can it really be the OnStar computer causing this?

My wife's 2011 Suburban LT with 65,000 miles started doing all of the things I have seen on this forum. Engine sputtering, Stabilitrak light comes on, car will not accelerate, now check engine light is on. My wife said it just would not go very well. She said when she was trying to go up a small incline it would hardly go. I was worried it was the transmission, but she stopped and started it again. I have not noticed any leaks from transmission. Driving on flat surface she got it to home. I am going to take it to the Chevrolet dealership tomorrow where we bought it new. I read on here a number of people saying to tell your dealership to reset the OnStar computer. Even after the throttle body has been replaced or other things have been replaced they keep saying reset the OnStar. Coincidently, I received an email a couple of days ago telling me to renew my OnStar subscription. I elected NOT to renew it. They have disconnected my OnStar as my wife tried to use the phone through OnStar today and they said it was disconnected. I wonder if they screwed something up when they disconnected the OnStar service. If so, how can this issue keep arising with these vehicles without GM letting you know about it.
Old November 20th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by jreynolds68
My wife's 2011 Suburban LT with 65,000 miles started doing all of the things I have seen on this forum. Engine sputtering, Stabilitrak light comes on, car will not accelerate, now check engine light is on. My wife said it just would not go very well. She said when she was trying to go up a small incline it would hardly go. I was worried it was the transmission, but she stopped and started it again. I have not noticed any leaks from transmission. Driving on flat surface she got it to home. I am going to take it to the Chevrolet dealership tomorrow where we bought it new. I read on here a number of people saying to tell your dealership to reset the OnStar computer. Even after the throttle body has been replaced or other things have been replaced they keep saying reset the OnStar. Coincidently, I received an email a couple of days ago telling me to renew my OnStar subscription. I elected NOT to renew it. They have disconnected my OnStar as my wife tried to use the phone through OnStar today and they said it was disconnected. I wonder if they screwed something up when they disconnected the OnStar service. If so, how can this issue keep arising with these vehicles without GM letting you know about it.
Hey there,

Very sorry for this concerns with your vehicle, and we can certainly understand how frustrating this may seem for you. We would be happy to look into this further for you. Please send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership. Please be sure to let us know how everything goes at the dealership, and if further assistance is needed.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control