Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

Unexpected AirBag Deployment

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2007, 9:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unexpected AirBag Deployment

My 2007 Avalanche LTZ 4X4 self deployed both side AirBags without being in an accident. I was driving on a gravel road and crossed a 2 inch deep wash out on the road. Some thing I would have driven a Cavalier across without giving it a second thought. Fortunately I was traveling only about 25 mph because The sound ands shock of them deploying actually disoriented me for a couple of seconds. I was very fortunate not to be traveling any faster. That was 3 weeks ago and I have finally received an answer from the GM field representive today.

I was told that they have pulled and examined my computer and found that the roll over sensor had deployed the AirBags. The best they can figure out is that the setting was too sensitive and they have reprogrammed my vehicle with a less sensitive setting. They can't nor did they assure me they knew the cause of the AirBag deployment. They expect me to keep this truck and drive it, without knowing for sure if the problem will occure again or not. I asked that Chevrolet offer a trade assistance and get me into another Chevrolet. I was very coldly denied and informed to do what I think I must do, but come pick up my truck.

I have owned 59 vehicles in my life, 56 of those were Chevy's. I have for the past few years referred 1 to 4 Chevy buyers to three different Chevy dealerships. I have slowed down on my new vehicle purchases to 1 new Chevy truck every 12 to 18 months. This information had no value to the Chevy representive. I know that since I bought the Avalanche in January of this year, I will have a negative equity issue to over come. But thats where I have options. I am not financially challenged; therefore I have contacted Toyota for a new Tundra crewmax.

To complain about Chevy is like complaining about an old friend. It is very uncomfortable but in this case it is very necessary. I did not create the concern, but I do have to deal with it, and unfortunately without the help of Chevrolet.

The service staff at my local dealer can't believe what the field representive decided. They are actually embarrassed.

I feel abandoned by a friend that I have fought for for many yearsagainst the bragging Ford & Dodge boys. Oh well just as the GM field representive told me, "It is what it is".
Old May 3rd, 2013, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation passenger side airbag spontaneously deployed

I had this occur while the vehicle, 2007 Chevy Avalanche, was in park in my driveway, injuring the passenger. I am wondering if others have had any similar airbag experience.
Old September 14th, 2018, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 suburban

Same thing happened on 2007 suburban coming around a curb doing about 30mph. Scared the hell out of me. All side curtain airbags deployed and seatbelt locked. For no apparent reason.
Old November 20th, 2019, 4:54 PM
CF Beginner

I had this happen on my 2012 Silverado. Unprevoked roof rail airbag deployment. Driving on a smooth (paved) state highway.

So far, dealership is blaming it on a "corroded" steering wheel position sensor.
Old November 20th, 2019, 10:05 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

wonder why no other airbags went off
Old February 24th, 2021, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2019 Chevy 2500 Head Rail Deployment

Originally Posted by Steven Booth
I had this happen on my 2012 Silverado. Unprevoked roof rail airbag deployment. Driving on a smooth (paved) state highway.

So far, dealership is blaming it on a "corroded" steering wheel position sensor.
This happened to my 2019 Chevy Silverado 2500 Z71 as well.
Old March 4th, 2022, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

Default airbag deployment/no collision - AFTER RECALL REPLACEMENT

Had the passenger airbag replaced by chevy dealer per the recall a couple of months ago. No problems, it didnt take long and no issues....until this week. I had driven the truck to go to the store (roundtrip of < 5 mi)...no accident, no collision, no hard braking, no big bumps, potholes,etc....... About 30 minutes after getting back to the house, I noticed something in the truck that wasnt there earlier.....The passenger airbag (yes, the one replaced in the recall) had deployed while parked with engine off. Besides that, when the airbag deployed, it cracked the dashboard in multiple places.
Has anyone heard of this happening? The dealer said that GM told them they have never had this happen, which I find very hard to believe, considering how many airbags have been replaced during the recall. Almost a week later and I've not received any further information from the dealer and so far the only contact has been a phone call from GM to confirm details.
I dont know why this is so difficult....why cant the dealer just fix the airbag, repair the dashboard and give me the truck back? Something smells......
Old April 12th, 2022, 8:24 PM
CF Beginner

Mine pop out on me Friday

Chevy place in Cairo said they didn’t know the reason and my insurance said they wouldn’t pay because they can’t give them a reason why they pop out

Old February 12th, 2023, 1:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks for pics

Thanks for posting this. I keep getting the notice in the mail and trying to decide if I want anyone but my husband messing with my trucks. I’m still not sure I want to take it in. So thanks this gives me more information to decide.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 8:00 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I found a service bulletin (TSB) Campaign that I have linked below that might be helpful
Attached Files

Quick Reply: Unexpected AirBag Deployment