Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina Among this grouping, these three cars, while being similar to each other, offered something for everyone, from a sports coupe to a roomy sedan.
Platform: L-Body

Leaky Beretta

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2012, 10:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky Beretta

I have a '96 Beretta z26 that leaks everytime it rains and I have no idea where its coming from. After a good rain, my floors on the passenger side is nothing but puddles. Occasionally, the driver side floor is wet too, but no way near as bad the passenger side. I was just wanting to know if anyone else who has a Beretta had the same problem and if its fixable??

Thank you!
Old October 14th, 2012, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

Check the seals around the doors and front windshield
Old October 15th, 2012, 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

I wanna say my Dad checked that once, but it's been a while. I'm going to get an oil change next week and I'll have my mechanic check it again.

Thanks!
Old October 27th, 2012, 12:34 PM
CF Active Member

Your best bet would be to remove the wiper arms, then remove the plastic cowl vent covers at the base of the windshield.

The clean it out very good and then go to a place like home depot and buy grade 3 silicone. Preferably clear.
Then put it all over in there and seal the whole thing, except the places where there are drain holes.
The mastic GM used was experimental and only lasted about 6 years before it started to disintegrate.

Then after that, look below the steering rack where the lower floor pan welds to the bottom of the firewall. Clean all the rust, paint the bare metal, and then use silicone and sheet metal to seal any openings/large openings.

Then check for leaks, preferably remove the carpet and the underneath dash pannels.

*When I did this there was a minor hole I missed the size of a nail, that I cleaned up, painted and sealed from the inside of the car.

Also, remove the carpet and insulation anyways, the puddle of water will make the floor pan paint peel and the floor pan wiith start to rust.

Then just flake off all the extra paint that is flaking, clean the rust, and paint with 2 coats of rustoleum or rust bullet paint before replacing the carpet and insulation.

hope this helps

Last edited by GHOSTOWLGRID; October 27th, 2012 at 1:08 PM.