Camaro This classic Pony Car, the Camaro left the lineup in 2002 and was thought to be gone forever, but is made its long-awaited return in the 2010 model year with a 300 HP V6 and a 426 HP V8 SS

2016 Camaro
Platform: F-Body & Zeta.

Need help/info @ Starship Berlinetta Camaro

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2009, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help/info @ Starship Berlinetta Camaro

My family has just inherited a 1985 Starship edition Berlinetta. Has about 80K miles has been garage kept but not driven the last few years, belonged to an elderly couplein Southern CA, so it's unaltered and has been driven gently. I have NO idea if this car is worth anything. It's rust free, if it runs (once I get a new battery in it) does anyone have any idea what it's worth? I have someone who wants to make an offer on it, my gut tells me this thing is worth more than he's gonna offer but I'm not sure. A range even would be helpful. I can't find this thing listed anywhere for sale, I know they were only made for three years. It's awsome looking inside, like a cockpit of an airplane, really cool. Any info would be greatly appreciated, I'd love to keep it but live all the way across the US and have a large family, just wouldn't work now for us. Thanks,
B
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:52 PM
CF Junior Member

According to the Standard Catalog of Camaro, there were 4 models for 1985. First: the Sport Coupe, then came the Berlinetta, then the Z-28 and finally the IROC-Z.
There is nothing mentioned about a "starship"....it sounds pretty "hokey" to me. If there was a starship Camaro, it problably was an individual dealer add-on, so the value of this add-on would probably not effect the value of the vehicle. As for it's worth, any estimate via the internet, without actually seeing, inspecting or driving the car is worthless. Take the car to a reliable mechanic, make sure it's sound, then check your local car ads to see what a vehicle like that is getting.....
Good luck!!

Last edited by RixZ-28; June 22nd, 2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: added info
Old June 23rd, 2009, 2:38 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

So it has been standing still for probably a year (or longer) and all you're gonna do is replace the battery?

I give it 50 miles before your car will break down again.

-Fuel out of tank
-fuelpump needs cleaning
-replace fuel filter
-clean out the fuel lines
-clean out the TBI (in your case, it'll probably be a carburator)
-replace spark plugs
-check rotor, spark wires and replace if necessary
-new oil filter, new oil
-clean out the radiator
-replace battery

Thats what you need to do before putting that car on the road again. And that "starship edition" is nothing more then a regular one with special colours.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

Wow, you got some seriously bad info. Sometimes you've just got to shake your head & giggle when folks who don't know jack start talking out their a$$.

Just to set the record straight, there was indeed a "starship camaro". They were limited edition Berlinattas produced in 1984, 85 & 86 straight from the factory. Nothing "hokey" about them. They were factory optioned cars, not dealer add-on's and they most certainly were NOT "nothing more then a regular one with special colours". They had very unique digital dashboards that weren't seen berofre & haven't been seen since. The interior was designed much like an aircraft cockpit,the control pods telescoped & could be positioned so you could reach them without taking your hands off the wheel and the radio/equalizer was mounted in a free-standing, rotating, positionable pod that *I* think was pretty damn slick for it's time.

I honestly couldn't tell you what one is worth but as with any limited collectable it'll depend a lot on where & how you try to sell it. Chances are that you won't find too many people locally who know what one even is (as evidenced by the previous posts) but to get the best price you'd probably be best off advertising it nationally in Camaro related literature or taking it to Camaro oriented events where you're likely to connect with Camaro enthusiasts looking for something unique & unusual. You might also consider selling it thru an auction house, especially when they run either a Chevy or muscle car orientated auction, someplace where you'd have a lot of knowledgable enthusiasts gathered in one place looking to buy stuff. Unless you really need the cash fast I'd give some thought to detailing or restoring it and hanging onto it since it's only going to go up in value.

You'll have to do some digging & research to find out more about what you have (such as the option code for the "starship" package or maybe even get a copy of the build sheet from Chevy) but I can point you in this direction for starters: http://www.berlinetta.info/ it's a site dedicated to Berlinettas and if you contact the site owner he may be able to help you more. If you (or anyone doubting the existance of the starship package or those who think it's just a standard Camaro with different pinstripes) want to see a scan of magazine ad showing the unique dash these cars had you can look here: http://www.berlinetta.info/media.htm or just check out the attached photo.

It's a shame you can't keep it. Starship Camaros are rare and having one in good condition just drop into your lap is quite a piece of luck.
Attached Thumbnails Need help/info @ Starship Berlinetta Camaro-starship.jpg  
Old September 4th, 2009, 4:18 PM
CF Veteran

Wow! what a cool car. The value of a car is in its intrinsic value and the feelings that it generates. Some like it and others don't. Beechcraft made a Starship too and though being outstanding in my eyes never sold (only 50+ made and the resale value isn't staggering either). The point I'm trying to make is, if you like it, pay what your gut tells you is fair and not a cent more.
Old September 5th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reminds me of Night Rider, neat car!
Old September 5th, 2009, 11:40 PM
CF Beginner

It was not a "Starship Camaro" package. There was a print ad for the 84 Berlinetta that used "starship camaro" as it's tag line. These cars are rare and, I'd assume becoming desirable. The production numbers were very low compared to sport coupe and z28. Most of the 84-86 Berlinetta's stickered for as much, or more than a z28 on the same lot. The car was marketed toward females and was replaced by the Chevrolet Beretta in spring 1987.

Last edited by truebritekc; September 5th, 2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old September 10th, 2009, 1:22 AM
CF Beginner

Useful information
Old September 12th, 2009, 7:48 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by truebritekc
It was not a "Starship Camaro" package. There was a print ad for the 84 Berlinetta that used "starship camaro" as it's tag line. These cars are rare and, I'd assume becoming desirable. The production numbers were very low compared to sport coupe and z28. Most of the 84-86 Berlinetta's stickered for as much, or more than a z28 on the same lot. The car was marketed toward females and was replaced by the Chevrolet Beretta in spring 1987.

That's what I was gonna say.....A tag line does not a model make....getting parts for that dash would be REAL fun these days I bet....
Old July 1st, 2021, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RixZ-28
According to the Standard Catalog of Camaro, there were 4 models for 1985. First: the Sport Coupe, then came the Berlinetta, then the Z-28 and finally the IROC-Z.
There is nothing mentioned about a "starship"....it sounds pretty "hokey" to me. If there was a starship Camaro, it problably was an individual dealer add-on, so the value of this add-on would probably not effect the value of the vehicle. As for it's worth, any estimate via the internet, without actually seeing, inspecting or driving the car is worthless. Take the car to a reliable mechanic, make sure it's sound, then check your local car ads to see what a vehicle like that is getting.....
Good luck!!
It is no dealer add on. I received one as payment for a job i did. SHE Was the original owner AND IT CAME WITH THE BUILD SHEET AS WELL AS THE DEALER WINDOW LABEL. I HAD TO PURCHASE A DIGITAL LIGHT TREE FOR THE HVAC FROM THE DEALERSHIP THAT THE CAR WAS PURCHASED FROM, Which was Bobby Laymen Chevrolet in Columbus Ohio. They were even perplexed, and they had to look it up with the build sheet #'s. It turned out that Chevrolet made only 100 of these cars. Two went to each state to the top 2 selling dealerships they were branded as the knight rider edition. I hope this clears things up a bit. I wish i never sold mine but i was already into 2 other chevy restorations at the time. Mine was in rough shape due to rust issues. A mechanic at the dealership bought mine for 5 grand, and. That was back in 2000.

Last edited by Bucknuts; July 1st, 2021 at 1:55 PM.