Camaro This classic Pony Car, the Camaro left the lineup in 2002 and was thought to be gone forever, but is made its long-awaited return in the 2010 model year with a 300 HP V6 and a 426 HP V8 SS

2016 Camaro
Platform: F-Body & Zeta.

Potential new Camaro Z28 owner...

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2010, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential new Camaro Z28 owner...

I've just test driven a '96 Camaro Z28 Convert. I would say for it's age it drove well, engine was very strong even though it has around 170,000km's. It has full oil service records anyway so I would expect the LT1 to not have many issues!

I want to know if anyone has advise on the rest of the car. Here's what I thought and you guys tell me if it's serious:

1) The steering felt heavy with a slight single knocking noise on a left turn. He said it was normal to be heavy like all pony cars. But I had a '98 Mustang GT which didn't feel that heavy.

2) The front end looked like it had taken a little shunt, very discreet but you could notice the bonnet didn't quite lign up with bumper and the driver's side wing slightly off. There's no sign of new paint so it's either not been repaired or not that bad. Either way I want it perfect so are these bumpers a nightmare to have 'bodyshoped'?

3) interior window switches looked a little butchered, like someone had been in there. It also has some aftermarket central locking system put in, which doesn't work. Does this sound like it could be an electrical nightmare? Or are the electrics generally quite reliable?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old February 1st, 2010, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default depends on price

yes it could be a electrical nightmare or it could be as simple as a fuse, however you mntion a knocking noise when turning left, and maybe evidence of a wreck, my advice as i am a ase master tech for 15+ years is run a carfax to determine whether or not is has been wrecked or not, could be the knocking is coming from something that may have been broke/bent etc, could be anywhere from a bent frame,bad gearbox/rack&pinion,center drag link,steering knuckle,pivot arm etc, so just do your research, use your head and dont buy nothing you have any fears or doubts about,
Old February 10th, 2010, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the response. I ended up ditching that one, looked like it was going to be too much work.

However, I'm looking at 1998 Z28 now which is clean as a whistle. Only things are;

1) the cluster doesn't seem to work properly, i.e. Temp guage and rev counter. The temp guage reads very low when driving and the Rev counter will tell you the car is doing 2000rpm when it's actually doing about 4000rpm, what's the deal with that?

2) When driving there was a small whistle noise coming from the rear, perfectly in time with engine speed and gear change? any ideas?

Sorry for the questions but I really want onw of these cars!
Old February 10th, 2010, 3:10 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

The steering knock could be something as simple at a pittman/idler arm thats worn out, or it could be the power steering. Camaros are notorious for the power steering being weak below 1500 RPMs since the 70's. If that is indeed the problem and not the ball joints or something being bent, then you can go with a 25% underdrive pulley to correct it.

Best thing to do about it right now is to take it to an alignment shop and ask them to align it and check out the ball joints in the steering.
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
The steering knock could be something as simple at a pittman/idler arm thats worn out, or it could be the power steering. Camaros are notorious for the power steering being weak below 1500 RPMs since the 70's. If that is indeed the problem and not the ball joints or something being bent, then you can go with a 25% underdrive pulley to correct it.

Best thing to do about it right now is to take it to an alignment shop and ask them to align it and check out the ball joints in the steering.
Thanks for the advice but, as above, I ditched the idea of the '96 Camaro. I found a clean '98 instead which i'm thinking about now. What do you think? (see above post)
Old February 18th, 2010, 12:50 PM
CF Beginner

I negotiated a deal for the broken cluster and just got me a '98 z28! I just hope i'm not opening up a can of worms though...

Any advice on the broken dials in the cluster? common problem?

Also, I can't seem to find much on these cars on the net. Like discussions about the best type of oil to use for the engine and running gear etc. or just general tech questions. Where do all the 90's Camaro's hang out?

Thanks
Old February 20th, 2010, 5:52 AM
CF Beginner

No takers?
Old February 26th, 2010, 12:54 AM
CF Active Member

try www.camaroforums.com there is a wealth of knowledge there