Camaro This classic Pony Car, the Camaro left the lineup in 2002 and was thought to be gone forever, but is made its long-awaited return in the 2010 model year with a 300 HP V6 and a 426 HP V8 SS

2016 Camaro
Platform: F-Body & Zeta.

wont idle in gear

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2012, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont idle in gear

so fella's, im hoping someone can shed some insight on my problem. ive got a CGC 350 in a 72 3/4ton pickup 2wd. and have had intermittent problems over about two years where it runs great for months the all the sudden like **** and isnt even driveable at that point. then we'll get the idle speed adjusted enough to go get gas for instance and we'll come back 2 weeks later run it drive it and its fine. now it has an edelbrock performer Intake mani and a edelbrock 1406 carb. (carb is a year old) and the delco remy dist. after adjusting timing previously it would run but then back to this. cant think of why it does this, "idles fine in neutral, the second its put into gear it dies, not a slow chug chug die but a chugdead die.

I am no expert on carb'd systems or chevy's in general, but its my old work truck i want to run correctly before i try and sell it.
Old May 18th, 2012, 9:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Lots of things to look at here.....
Are the Idle mixture screws set too lean?
Is the carb float adjusted correctly?
Is there a vacuum leak somewhere?
If it is automatic, is there a leak in the modulator?
If it is points in the distributor, is the dwell set properly?

Hard to find anyone that even KNOWS how to adjust points or carbs anymore.....
Old August 18th, 2012, 1:29 AM
CF Junior Member

ok, first double check your timing. if its off it will cause the load from putting the car in gear to stall out. next, check for vacuum leaks by using carb spray on ALL the gaskets and vacuum lines. what rpm is it idling at in neutral? next. TUNE THE CARB. just setting the idle skrews is NOT tuning a carburetor properly. im gonna post a ling to a sticky on TGO board because its very easy to follow. carb tuning is an art. and when done properly, you will get better gas mileage, more power, and better throttle response. anyone who has a 500 hp 454 will say "oh it gets 8mpg but thats just because its so big" i say bull ****. tune it right.
Holley Tuning - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards