Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

ignition problems

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2012, 2:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition problems

this has to do with the ignition key area when i put the key in i can turn it all the way forward as if to start it and it wont do anything..... ive torn the steering column all the way down to the ignition rack in the steering column what should i be looking for specifically [92 chevy caprice with tilt steering]

Last edited by Chris R Labonne; May 14th, 2012 at 2:47 PM.
Old May 14th, 2012, 8:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ll have to look at a pic of this later in the manual but you should be looking for the contacts to connect and send power through the switch from the battery to the starter to crank the engine. There are only 4 positions: ACC, OFF, RUN, START.

Does it start in any gear? P or N? Does it crank? What does the dash do when you turn the key? This should give you a clear idea of where exactly the problem lies?
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:59 AM
CF Beginner

no not like that you can spin the key forward and back it doesnt act like its catching on something to start it i think a linkage between the ignition rack and the
this person had a similiar problem i think but his actuator rack part broke if you look where the red is im looking at that line that connects to it i think that broke the key goes forward almost no effort
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor

The racks on these cars broke very often. They were made of cheap "pot metal" and would break for no reason.

I believe they were discontinued long ago from GM.

Search your local area for people that specialize in steering column rebuilding or
Google 'Steering Column Parts' and you will find a few companies that specialize in these items for older columns.