Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Stereo problems

Old February 19th, 2014, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo problems

I have a 96' caprice and I was changing the stereo and the cable that says ignition switch (it's red) touched the ground cable..... I used a test light and touched the ignition switch (red cable) and it didn't light up. Is it suppose to?
Old February 20th, 2014, 7:00 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

The red wire is supposed to have 12 volts with the key turned on. It probably blew the fuse when it touched ground.
Old February 20th, 2014, 5:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
The red wire is supposed to have 12 volts with the key turned on. It probably blew the fuse when it touched ground.
Where would I find that fuse to check it??
Old February 21st, 2014, 11:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Driver side, open the door, on the side of the dash
Old February 21st, 2014, 1:44 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MD913
Driver side, open the door, on the side of the dash
Yes but I'm not sure what fuse it would be (like the name, like example if the radio fuse blew then I would find the fuse under the name radio or stereo on the piece that covers the fuses) well what I did since I just wanted music in it ASAP I found a fuse that worked only when I turned the key and ran a wire from that fuse to the stereos ignition switch wire. But I would really like to fix the problem so I can have it hooked up the right way.
Old February 21st, 2014, 2:52 PM
CF Junior Member

The fuse panel cover (on the side of the dash) has a index or key for you. Easy, unless I'm missing something.
Old February 21st, 2014, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 200OZ
The fuse panel cover (on the side of the dash) has a index or key for you. Easy, unless I'm missing something.
Yes. I see the index but not sure which fuse would be the one to check. I was looking on the index for something that said Ignition or something like that.
Old February 21st, 2014, 4:51 PM
CF Junior Member

There may be one marked ING. Just to be clear, the red wire only has power (12v) when the ignition is on. The yellow wire in the radio harness is the constant power. I think you would have blown the "radio" fuse, did you check that one?

Don't cut the factory wires for a new stereo, just get the Metra wiring adapter harness, it's like $6 on Amazon, $10 at WalMart. Easiest way to do it.
Old February 21st, 2014, 5:42 PM
CF Junior Member

I have to wire in a new amp for mine, because mine came with the Bose optional amp, and it fried, I just have no idea what to do
Old February 21st, 2014, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 200OZ
There may be one marked ING. Just to be clear, the red wire only has power (12v) when the ignition is on. The yellow wire in the radio harness is the constant power. I think you would have blown the "radio" fuse, did you check that one? Don't cut the factory wires for a new stereo, just get the Metra wiring adapter harness, it's like $6 on Amazon, $10 at WalMart. Easiest way to do it.
It dosent have one marked ING. But it has 2 radio fuses. One of them lights up with test light other one was already blown n the little port where the fuse goes dosent have any power to it. I touch it with the light and it dosent light up. But I put a wire from cruise control fuse (which turn on only when key is turned) to the back of the radio and it works. But like I said I really would like to have it working properly. Meaning not having a wire from fuse to stereo.

Last edited by Chevychevy23; February 21st, 2014 at 9:25 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stereo problems