Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

Dragging Brakes, 2013 Captiva

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2023, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragging Brakes, 2013 Captiva

Hello, I have the following brake issue w/ 2013 Captiva. I have already changed brakes, rotors, front left brake hose & master brake cylinder.

1. Use to get ABS/Traction warning light but that cleared itself up after maintenance mentioned above.
2. In the morning brake pedal remains down, have to assist the pedal bake to the up position.
3. Intermittent brake pedal drag that causes the brakes to maintain grip on rotors - have to assist the pedal back up w/ foot.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old September 6th, 2023, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our 2013 Captiva rt rear wheel heated up recently. I did not notice brake pedal sticking. The car is in the shop today, asking the mechanic to check the rear brakes. I am reading the owners manual about the emergency brake, if there is one. I don't know the car at all. -- Doug
Old September 6th, 2023, 2:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2013 Captiva Dragging Brakes

Doug, been doing research myself could be an ABS module and/or ABS pump. Let me know you mechanic had to say. Thanks, martinet1963
Old September 10th, 2023, 7:03 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you. My corner garage mechanic took the Captiva out for a fairly long drive and could not get the rt rear wheel to heat up. So the problem is intermittant (or I am riding the brake like an idiot).
So I need to take it to another mechanic who has the patience to do the investigative work. -- Doug
Old September 11th, 2023, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default Gotcha

Doug did your ABS/TRACTION CONTROL service light ever come on? Mine did and I took it ti the mechanic when he found the left front brake caliper was not releasing properly changed the brake caliper, disc, brake hose & brakes. Eliminated the service warning lights, then changed the brake master cylinder. The inly thing left to check is the ABS module and ABS pump. Maybe the brake pedal? After that I’ll torch her…. 😂😂😂. Let me know & I’ll do the same when I get this resolved.
Old September 12th, 2023, 9:50 AM
CF Beginner

No, the ABS traction control service light did not come on. I used the car again yesterday and the rt rear wheel did not heat up. This is an intermittent problem.
Right now I'm not inclined to take it to a mechanic and ask them to look carefully in there for an issue.
My daughter-in-law has a dealership repair order from Nov. 2019 saying,
"Diag and found the parking brake cables to have rubbe through control arm sensor in actuator causing brake warning lights to be on. Replaced both cables."
Well, I have seen no brake warning lights so far. This is a puzzler.
Old September 13th, 2023, 7:07 AM
CF Beginner

Default Doug

Thanks for the update. I’ll keep you posted.
Old September 23rd, 2023, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default New Captiva rear brake rotors, calipers, pads, hoses

Mechanic said the brake dragging could have come from rusty bracket which compressed the flexible brake line. I have not cut open the line to examine it
Old September 24th, 2023, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default Brake Line?

Doug did you cut the brake line in half? I find it hard to believe that would be the problem - one never knows…
Old September 25th, 2023, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default Flex brake line not crushed by rusty bracket

I removed the flex brake line from the steel bracket. The bracket was squeezing the brake line, but not to the point that flow would be reduced. Possibly the flow on the other brake line (to the other rear brake) would be reduced by crushing. But I am inclined to agree with you that this reduced flow (on return, when brakes are released) was not the problem. It was probably just older brakes in a corrosive Massachusetts road salt environment.
The following users liked this post:
martinef1963 (November 21st, 2023)

Quick Reply: Dragging Brakes, 2013 Captiva