Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

Engine seized

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2019, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine seized

So here's a question. I bought my 13 Captiva a year and a half ago. It broke down on January 31st (which happened to be the coldest day of the year here in Michigan)
Took it to Chevy dealer, have an extended warranty...took them until March 15th to look at it. They said in order to get warranty people out to look at it, they need my permission to tear engine out, $430 job. I give my okay.
The next day, suddenly the warranty people won't come out. When I called them, they said because the dealer told them the PCV valve froze, blew out the rear seal and seized the engine. Here's my concern...when I first called the dealer back, before I even called the warranty people (he left me a voicemail) he said that if 'they say I said the PCV valve caused it, I never said that's
Okay, so here I am, with my car stuck at a dealership who wants to charge me $7,000 for a new engine, I've put about $8,000 miles on it, my warranty people won't even come LOOK at it because of what the dealer said... isn't there a powertrain or something on this? Isn't it completely WRONG for this dealer to tell the warranty people what they've concluded is the problem?
No rude comments, please. I really need some advice. Thanks
Old March 27th, 2019, 4:52 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i would turn the rolls on them and say something to the effect of "how do you know letting the engine sit for a month an a half did get the pcv stuck?

also youre telling me you lost all of your oil through the rear main seal and didnt notice it? i mean you should of saw a puddle or smoke or smelt something. and i dont think it would be a real fast lost of oil so its not like it happened in one day
Old March 27th, 2019, 4:58 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
i would turn the rolls on them and say something to the effect of "how do you know letting the engine sit for a month an a half did get the pcv stuck?

also youre telling me you lost all of your oil through the rear main seal and didnt notice it? i mean you should of saw a puddle or smoke or smelt something. and i dont think it would be a real fast lost of oil so its not like it happened in one day
honest to God, the car had a hard time starting but I thought it was because it was so cold. there was no oil on the ground, my oil light never even came on. The remote start wouldn't work so I went outside and used my key. It cranks slow but it worked. I went to work, got sent home and decided to go to the grocery store. My car got really loud on the way home and broke down on the side of the road. That was all she wrote.

No oil, no noises, ran fine with the exception of hesitating that morning
Old March 27th, 2019, 5:11 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Even if the PCV valve caused the blown engine, it should still be covered under warranty. Isn't that what you buy an extended warranty for? Get another certified mechanic to look at it and say what caused the problem. If you are lucky he will find in your favor and in turn you can go back to the warranty company. As a last resort you might have to get a lawyer.
Old March 27th, 2019, 5:11 PM
I'm here for the party

so even on the way to the store no oil light? and after it broke down there was no oil trail or puddle? did you check the oil?
Old March 27th, 2019, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

so even on the way to the store no oil light? and after it broke down there was no oil trail or puddle? did you check the oil?
only the engine light came on after the car wouldn't start. that's it. no smoke, no oil light, no nothing. honestly I thought it was either my starter or my battery
Old March 27th, 2019, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Even if the PCV valve caused the blown engine, it should still be covered under warranty. Isn't that what you buy an extended warranty for? Get another certified mechanic to look at it and say what caused the problem. If you are lucky he will find in your favor and in turn you can go back to the warranty company. As a last resort you might have to get a lawyer.
according to the warranty people, the PCV valve was not covered because of the engine having this known problem. that's why they said they wouldn't come out and look at it, because the dealer said that's what the problem was and it was not covered because of the known problem, which makes absolutely no sense to me because why would you offer an extended warranty if you know that there is a problem with this engine?

I may have to get an attorney after all. There were no signs of any of this, I am just completely lost and just looking for some advice.
Old March 27th, 2019, 9:28 PM
I'm here for the party

did it even run out of oil?
Old March 28th, 2019, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

did it even run out of oil?
according to the dealer, there is not any oil in the engine at all. he said the engine is completely locked up.
my confusion is the warranty people. they said that they wouldn't cover it because it's a known problem with the engine but they wouldn't even go look at it and do their own investigation because of what they said the dealer said. so my next step I think as I'm going to go ahead and call Chevy and an attorney.... I'm a single mom with two teenagers. I have a job to get to and they have baseball starting soon. it's not like I can wait around and I'm not the type to let people take advantage of me

Last edited by Dmcurtpw; March 28th, 2019 at 11:40 AM. Reason: adding
Old June 4th, 2019, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

What’s the issue? Do you have specifics?