Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

A p228d code. Help please

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2017, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A p228d code. Help please

So last Friday I went out to the captiva and we t to turn it on. Nothing all I got was a clicking sound. My initial thought was starter. A friend tapped on it and it started but stalled out right away. Next thought was fuel pump. He tapped on the tank and it started up. Got the stabilitrac message and reduced engine power message. Also stalls out at red lights. Put the reader on and the following codes came up.

P006 p0016 poo36 p0068 p0089 p0135 p0141 p062f p228d.

Took it to a mechanic he got the codes down to just one. P228d. He said it came up timing chain. So I called Chevy and explained the problem. They said p228d is a fuel related code. Told the mechanic and even he is stuck and doesn't know where to look. Chevy said it's not the fuel pump. If only had this car for a year and kind of fed up with it. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old September 8th, 2017, 9:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Its a manufacturer specific code...need to know model year, engine to look it up.

so it starts fine now and just stalls when idling for slowing for a stop?

write a concise description of what is happening now.

ie...turn key to start....get single click but no crank and no start
Old September 10th, 2017, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

2012 Chevy captiva ls 2.4l 57000 miles
p228d fuel pressure regulator 1 exceeded control limits pressure to high. This is the only code that stays on
P0089 fuel pressure regulator performance. This one is new

Got p228d p0089 Car will start. A slow start but it does. I can drive it and about after 5 minutes the engine reduced light comes on. Can't get car over 40 mph. Doesn't run rough or anything runs smooth but dies at a red light and starts right back up.

Last edited by Tom Green; September 10th, 2017 at 6:03 PM. Reason: Misspelled
Old September 10th, 2017, 6:20 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

So, did you replace the regulator?
Old September 12th, 2017, 6:53 AM
CF Beginner

Having that done today. Mechanic going to do it but thinks it's the timing chain causing everything
Old September 12th, 2017, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

Did the regulator he says it's timing chain.
Old December 2nd, 2018, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

Default P228d

Hello all. I'm quickly going bald. I've been pulling out my hair for a week now. I recently got the p228D code on my Chevy equinox. The problem is I cannot isolate the issue. I've changed the HP fuel pump. I've also replaced the pressure switch on the HP side of the fuel lines. It says pressure regulator while looking up the code but I cannot find location or part number. I'm tired of throwing parts at it. Did you find out whether timing chain fixed issue and if so why not show a timing code? I hate this vehivve and as soon as I get it running it's getting sent down the road. Please please help as I'm thinking out fast!!!!
Old February 29th, 2020, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

HI Lads , I was doin research on the 2010 Equinox a client brought me, She has had it at 3 other shops including two actuel GM dealers and this thing is killing her for repairs, it came to me with a knock sensor issue, fixed it , both 02 sensors ,,done new exhaust manifold and downpipe with cat, done, so these other guys have replaced all these parts, I now have the vehicle OH i also forgot to mention a new hi pressure fuel pump, now it is setting a p228d hi fuel pressure code , this thing runs nice for about 15 min, then goes into reduced power mode, it also has a new fuel pressure sensor,, I just dont get it??? Any ideas??? im not charging this gal unless i fix it but i wont just start changing parts either,,,,thanx Mark