Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

04 cav clutch master or slave

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2015, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 cav clutch master or slave

hey guys my first post here just had a question since i found out this car has a concentric slave.

i was on my way to work a few nights ago and the clutch started to fell a little soft and engaged really low in the pedal, so after getting to work i parked it then before i left to go home i found out that the reservoir had cracked and lost its fluid, so i drove it home with no clutch and changed the reservoir. after alot of pumping and bleeding i got pressure back and the clutch worked great but i let the car sit the rest of the day and went to leave for work that night and the clutch hit the floor again and absolutely no pressure.

after looking again the hose leaked where it met the res but again i refiled and patched it up and now i get fluid from the bleeder but no pressure on the pedal

what would be the best bet to change here or how to properly test the master and/or slave

edit: i also noticed when i bleed the system that if i left the cap off it would spit fluid everywhere back up in the res

Last edited by davidwatters; April 27th, 2015 at 2:58 PM.
Old April 28th, 2015, 4:53 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slave goes bad you will see fluid leaking from it. Methinks you need to bleed it properly.
Old April 29th, 2015, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

found a leak in the line and got it changed and spent all day bleeding it before we realized that every time we pushed the clutch down with the bleed screw tight it would pump the fluid up in the res....and the only time that there was a little bit of pressure was if i plugged the hole in the bottom of the res and pumped is. wasnt it enough to engage the clutch but atleast had some pressure so it seems the seals are blown on the master.

any ideas before i order it or is that the diagnosis
Old May 3rd, 2015, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

well i decided to pull the quick connect from the slave on and bled the line that way just to see the pressure difference and it bled fine and had full pressure. so i plugged it back into the slave connector and it worked until i let the car sit the nothing so im guessing the slave is shot and leaking in resting position but not extended or something.

i did notice fluid on the ground but just figured it was the mess i made spilling since i havent seen any leaking from the bottom of the tranny/engine seam but does seem like the slave has died since the line and master hold pressure now but loose it once connected to the slave.

also the seal in the end of the quick connect is gone but only the one that holds the pressure when its disconnected

so this deff seems like a slave issue right? looks like i need to find someone with an engine lift lol
Old May 8th, 2015, 8:03 PM
CF Beginner

maybe you got lucky, slave is the probably the prob, not a big job good luck