Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

05 cavalier cranks but no start. Has fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2023, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 cavalier cranks but no start. Has fuel pressure

Hi everybody. I'm going to post this and simultaneously read some of the old posts. Been googling my head off too. My buddy's cavalier is stranded. It had a code for multiple misfire. I changed the coil pack assembly. The fuel pump is definitely working and there is fuel pressure. Battery and alternator are great. Check the ignition fuse and it is good. Not sure where to go from here. Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you
Old February 17th, 2023, 7:54 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 04prixgt04
Hi everybody. I'm going to post this and simultaneously read some of the old posts. Been googling my head off too. My buddy's cavalier is stranded. It had a code for multiple misfire. I changed the coil pack assembly. The fuel pump is definitely working and there is fuel pressure. Battery and alternator are great. Check the ignition fuse and it is good. Not sure where to go from here. Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you
Fuel pressure is 55 to 62 PSI. You'll need a gauge for that. Injectors wont operate on a low PSI.
Old February 17th, 2023, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Fuel pressure is 55 to 62 PSI. You'll need a gauge for that. Injectors wont operate on a low PSI.
Oh snap. Well I just saw a video on YouTube where they took the cap off the Schrader valve and depressed the nipple. When I did that it sprayed out like crazy. And I can hear the fuel pump running. But I do understand what you're saying :-) he said it was running a little shoddy then it just totally stopped. It doesn't even try to start a little bit. I mean it cranks and turns over like crazy but you don't hear any sign of ignition. But are you saying I'm kind of at a standstill until I check fuel pressure?
Old February 17th, 2023, 9:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

remove the air intake to access the throttle body. spray a 5 second shot of brake cleaner in the throttle plate while cranking...if it starts...the problem is fuel related.
if it still doesn't start...check for spark. the ignition modules go bad
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (February 18th, 2023)
Old February 18th, 2023, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
remove the air intake to access the throttle body. spray a 5 second shot of brake cleaner in the throttle plate while cranking...if it starts...the problem is fuel related.
if it still doesn't start...check for spark. the ignition modules go bad
Would it do anything at all if the crankshaft position sensor was bad? Like what it even attempt to start other than cranking? Thank you and I will do exactly what you said a little later today.
Old February 18th, 2023, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

if the crank sensor was bad; should be a code. bad crank sensor would result in a crank, no start with no injector pulse. if you are seeing rpm signal on the scan tool crank signal should be good.
oilcanhenry (February 25th, 2023)
Old February 18th, 2023, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

All right so I went ahead and just swap the crank position sensor because I don't have a code reader good enough to read the pulse live. I also sprayed the starter fluid straight into the intake for 5 seconds a few different times. No change at all. I'm going to get a spark plug tester tomorrow to check ignition but I'm guessing there's none since the starter fluid didn't do anything.
Old February 19th, 2023, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

since you swapped the crank sensor....after you get it running....you will need to have someone with a good scan tool perform a crankshaft variation learn or the car will set false misfire dtc at high rpm.
oilcanhenry (February 25th, 2023)
Old February 19th, 2023, 7:34 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 04prixgt04
Oh snap. Well I just saw a video on YouTube where they took the cap off the Schrader valve and depressed the nipple. When I did that it sprayed out like crazy. And I can hear the fuel pump running. But I do understand what you're saying :-) he said it was running a little shoddy then it just totally stopped. It doesn't even try to start a little bit. I mean it cranks and turns over like crazy but you don't hear any sign of ignition. But are you saying I'm kind of at a standstill until I check fuel pressure?
Yes I am. Might be able to rent one at an auto parts store. Also heed tech2's advice. He is a full-fledged professional tech.

I am older, but have lots of experience and studied to be a tech but wound up as a professional class A driver and petroleum salesman. I am an expert on auto A/C systems, but know many other things, as well including fuel injection systems.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; February 19th, 2023 at 7:44 PM.
Old February 26th, 2023, 10:07 PM
CF Active Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Spark and gas. This ain't rocket science. Pour a couple small spoonfuls of gas down the throttle body or shoot a small amount of starter fluid in there and hit the starter. If the engine fires, runs for a sec or two, you've got a fuel supply problem.
If it don't fire with gas poured into it, you gotta spark problem.
Pull the plugs, see what they look like. Lay 'em on the head (to ground them) crank the engine and see if they spark.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jiyu:
JerryL (January 20th, 2024), oilcanhenry (March 6th, 2023)