Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1986 Cavalier CS Intermittent No Start

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2019, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Cavalier CS Intermittent No Start

The engine is a 2.0- Liter 4-cylinder. It may not start if engine compartment is damp. I let it sit for a few hours & it will start & run well. It is definitely a no spark condition & I believe it is an electrical bulk head wiring connector problem. I believe it is in the right connector at the fire wall of the car. I am trying to separate the male from female connector. I have removed it from firewall and tried to separate halves with no luck. Does anyone have ANY suggestions on that? I can provide more details & pictures of it.

Right side electrical bulkhead connector at firewall

Right side bulkhead connector at firewall

Note: RTV clear silicone applied over wiring which did not help to waterproof

Note: RTV clear silicone applied over wiring which did not help to waterproof

Last edited by hgw53t; February 3rd, 2019 at 9:59 AM.
Old December 22nd, 2019, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am replying to anyone out there who has or had this problem. The problem was the ignition coil. It was getting damp or wet when this would happen. The way I know that the problem has been recedtified is that I R&R the coil with a new one & sprayed a stream of water on it when engine was running & engine did not stall out. Engine would stall out everytime BEFORE I replaced ignition coil. I believe what caused the coil to fail is when I would clean the engine & engine oil and dust and dirt would get on the coil and would "intensify" the problem when it would rain the night before .... The problem was a combination of dampness & engine oil, dust, dirt, etc. getting on the coil.
I believe the answer to any future problem with that is to move the coil to another location. Anyone know of a kit or have any info on that?