Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1998 Z24 Cavalier Shifting Problems

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2010, 8:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off there is nothing free in this world anymore. I'm not sure where you can get it done free at. Second I thought this was a DIY Forum, that information doesn't get me anything. A transmission shop will charge at leat 1800.00 for a rebuild and they don't do anymore than they have to. I talked with my wifes cousins husband and he told me a lot more than I ever got here.

Thanks Anyway! Bone up on the DIY!
Old April 6th, 2010, 3:18 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Hobbydad
First off there is nothing free in this world anymore. I'm not sure where you can get it done free at. Second I thought this was a DIY Forum, that information doesn't get me anything. A transmission shop will charge at leat 1800.00 for a rebuild and they don't do anymore than they have to. I talked with my wifes cousins husband and he told me a lot more than I ever got here.

Thanks Anyway! Bone up on the DIY!
Are you a computer, or do you rebuild transmissions? Cause you need to have the transmission scanned. Might cost money but if there is an internal sensor problem you will never figure it out without someone with the right knowledge. Want a DIY approach, thats fine. Go to the salvage yard and buy a transmission with a warranty, of course that is not going to help if it is a computer issue. I don't know where you live but all the transmission shops around here have a free check-up offer. You ask for advice then pull out this bull crap when someone tries to offer sound advice. If you replaced the TPS and think it may still be bad, then take it back and get it replaced. There is no way to clear the trouble codes from the computer without a proper scanner. The scanner at the parts store will not pull transmission codes.

Enjoy your day

Last edited by Roanoker494; April 6th, 2010 at 3:20 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old April 6th, 2010, 3:24 AM
CF Beginner

Also. If you have to ask someone what you should do with the voltage meter then you are not the person who should be shoving metal probes into electrical connectors. Put those probes in the wrong place and cause a short and there goes the PCM, which is the powertrain control module.

Again, enjoy your day
Old May 20th, 2010, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Hobbydad
I also wanted to add, I have a check engine light on and dash says ETS Off.

Thanks,
Hobbydad
this happend in my 99 z check all your fuses the trans is in safe mode detecting something is wrong turned out it was the ERLS fuse in the fusebox located driver side of the dash it the fuse is good it may be a bad speed sensor hope i can be of help
Old May 21st, 2010, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Hobbydad well is your gfs whatever is so good at dognositing problems without even usuing a computer why are you even on here? and why do you ask us for opioions and to give you answers. If he knows so much go to him, go ask him. This isnt the place for you. sorry.