Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2004 Cavalier 2.2 starting issues

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2020, 3:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Cavalier 2.2 starting issues

I just got started working on repairing this vehicle for a friend. It started with the clutch did not work, so I repaired it and moved on to an electric demon. The vehicle has drawn the battery dead so I replaced the battery. The starter was bad and also replaced. Now I have gotten to attempting to start it. When I turn on the ignition switch all the indicator lights on the dash light up, when I turn the key to the start position everything shuts off and the engine does nothing. Turn the key off and back on and all the lights are back on and the situation continues. I have replaced the electric ignition switch and today a new clutch pedal switch will be installed I have also cleaned every ground that I can locate. I am at a loss as to what to check next. Oh yes, if I leave the new battery connected there is a constant draw on it. I sure hope someone chimes in and gives me a hand with this problem.
Old July 31st, 2020, 11:32 PM
CF Active Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Do a search on YT for 'parasitic draw test'. There's a number of vids on the subject.
Old July 31st, 2020, 11:33 PM
CF Active Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Do a YT search for 'parasitic draw test.' There's a number of good vids on the subject.
Are you sure the security system isn't preventing the car from starting. There's a procedure for re-arming the anti-theft. This might do it: Try to start car, when it doesn't start, leave the ignition ON until the anti-theft light goes out (usually takes about 10 minutes). Repeat that procedure three times and that will disarm the anti-theft.

Buy a cheap scan tool, or have find an auto parts store that'll read the codes for you for free (many do).

Last edited by Jiyu; July 31st, 2020 at 11:38 PM.