Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2005 Cavalier chime problem

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2022, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Cavalier chime problem

Hello again,

I have another issue with this car I'm curious about. I've noticed the door/startup/seatbelt chimes do not work. I read a few things about how sometimes if you replace the factory radio with an aftermarket one, you can have problems with the chimes not working anymore. I replaced the crappy aftermarket radio the seller installed with a factory Delco CD player. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the chimes working again? Thanks for any help or advice. And Happy New Year! (:
Old January 1st, 2022, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the radio generates the chime through the left front speaker. does the l/f speaker work?

door...you mean the interior light does not come on or are you referring to the key in ignition warning?

no idea what the start up chime is

seatbelt- confirm the seatbelt light on the dash is on. if someone wired the circuit to grd the light will not come on and the chime won't work. if the light is on with the belt off and you have no chime...its a chime issue...back to radio and speaker.

it may also be a compatibility issue????. there are 2 radio options....was the correct option programmed when the radio installed.

Last edited by tech2; January 1st, 2022 at 10:11 AM.
Old January 1st, 2022, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the chime that sounds when you insert the key into the ignition and the chime that sounds when you start the car. And the seatbelt light comes on when starting the car; the interior lights do work. And I'm not sure about the options when the radio was installed. The dealer was the one who dealt with all that. However, there is no sound coming from the speakers, so sounds like that's the issue.